Sunday, May 1, 2011

I-this










Yes, that's right, I-this, it's the latest gadget that I'm sure you, my readers, are just pining to have your hands on. My latest blog! Hah! Not really!? Well, at least I have your attention now, don't I? Haven't you noticed? I-pad, I-touch, I-pod, I-this, I-that, I-I-I-I; it's all about you. We are so wrapped up into technology and ourselves; incredibly internalized and self-centered with technology. Is that all we believe in? In what blinks, and gives us instant-gratification? Believing only in what we can see appearing on our I-screens in less than 3 seconds? If you can't see it, if it doesn't alarm or buzz or give you what you want, then it's not real. Sometimes we forget the real beauty of being calm and tranquil, or of just being, simple, pure, no bells, whistles or facebook apps attached. Listening to your breath, and hearing the lovely sounds of the evening.






I was flying from Denver, back into Los Angeles the other day, and one of my passengers, sitting in the very back, was a beautiful young woman, with large and striking eyes. She was polite, pleasant, and didn't ask for anything throughout the flight. At the very end, she whispered to me, that she would need assistance to her next gate to continue on to New Zealand. Only at this moment, had I realized that she was blind, and took a moment to be mesmerized at how far a journey she had to travel, all on her own, meandering through crazy, bustling airports. Surely, not having her sight, allowed her to embrace her other senses, but it made me think of how much trust and faith she had to have on a daily basis, to simply get by. I thought also, that she even though fine-looking, she couldn't place un-necessary amounts of attention by grooming herself in a mirror or on what she should wear each day. It reminded me of a charming saying which went: Beauty is not in the face, but a light in the heart. For its true, we place so much emphasis and trust in what we see, and have little patience or believe in the unseen in life.






Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We cannot see love, but it exists, it's a feeling, a doing, a knowing, and it happens every day. We have to learn to see beyond sight, to have passion and belief that is lit afire because of our faith and trust in the Universe. When people look at you, what do they believe in? Do they see you as only a pretty face? Do they see you as a generous and caring person? Do they see you as someone who is quite detached with an eye or a finger always on some small gadget? How do you want people to view you or believe in you? What do you believe in? What are you passionate about? A wonderful exercise, I invite you to participate in, is getting yourself a blank piece of paper and writing the word 'Believe' on the top, underneath it, write down all the things you believe in, all the things you'd like to believe in, and all the things that are unseen but do exist in your life. Meditate on these simple miracles and hopefully they can put a positive or renewing aspect in our lives.






I'd like to leave you with some words to a beautiful song, called: I am the Bread of Life:




I am the Bread of Life


He who comes to me shall not hunger


He who believes in me shall not thirst


No one can come to me




Unless the father draw him


The bread that I will give
Is my flesh for the life of the world


And he who eats of this bread


He shall live for ever


He shall live for ever






I am the resurrection
I am the life
He who believes in me
Even if he die
He shall live for ever



And I will raise him up, upon the last day…

No comments:

Post a Comment