Sunday, July 3, 2011

Brides Maids

I enjoyed the Hangover, and I enjoy comedies in general, but never am I the one to come up with the grand idea of watching a comedy; I tend to always be drawn to the darker, edgier, thought-provoking, controversial, disturbing, fantasy, dramatic and award-winning type films. It's not that comedy isn't healthier, lighter and instantly gratifying in forcing the audience to smile; but it's just that when someone takes film as seriously as I do; one tends to not only study them, but analyze it and rip it apart, for to be the best you must learn from the best, and although comedy is entertaining, tragedy and drama is the root of where it comes from.




I found the trailers for this 2011 film, Brides Maids to be appealing but still I wasn't sure I'd ever see it; I mean, maybe I'd see it when it came out on Netflix or DVD, but certainly not in the cinema. It wasn't till a dear girlfriend of mine came over to my snazzy pad to visit for a few days, that she kept nudging me that we should go see it. The lines were long, the theatre quite full, but we somehow managed to get the Best seats in the house! Let me just say, that paying to see this movie on the big screen, I was not in the least bit disappointed. Brides Maids not only was a belly-full of laughs with outrageous, disgusting and incredibly incredulous moments, but was thoroughly engaging and solidified the strength of what I had been learning at my Improv classes.






Bridesmaids produced by Judd Apatow and Paul Feig, cast a full round of experts within the Improv scene. Apparently large amounts of the film were improvised by the actresses and cast, all except Rose Byrne, the token Aussie who quickly learned the art-form from her fellow cast members who have been part of the UCB, Groundlings and even Saturday Night Live cast. The substance of improvisational skills is shown clearly to the audience, by the sheer brilliance that can be created on whim, once the character is grounded and supports the other person's point-of-views.






Although Kristen Wiig was the writer and main character, and Maya Rudolph was the Bride-to-be; it was Melissa Mc Carthy for me; that stole the show. She was anything but refined and created a one-of-a-kind and un-forgettable character for years to come. Her character, Megan was comparable to Zach Galifiankis' character Alan with his slue of antics in The Hangover. I found the film to be very much wild in its implausible sequence of events, however distinctively relatable to the female species in that there was heart and several emotional and 'awww' moments dabbled throughout the film.






Brides Maids delivered laughs, tears, inspiration as well as the hope that your bridal planning will never ever go quite like this one did. And might I just add that I hope I never have a flight like the flight attendants had in this movie when the girls attempted to take their trip to Las Vegas! J

No comments:

Post a Comment