Friday, March 16, 2012

The Help

I’d been seeing the posters everywhere; and if that wasn’t enough, everyone was buzzing about it too; I thought; do I really want to see another sad, slavery kinda’ movie? I didn’t enjoy watching how sad or bad times were over-and-over-and-over again. I got it; it was bad; and thank goodness I don’t have to deal with it again…but it was nominated several times at the Academies and one of my flight mates actually knew Octavia Spencer personally and told me of her journey to cinematic success. I had to see it!


I was able to enjoy this 2011 drama literally the night before the Oscars; and I am glad to say that it was more comedic than sad. I cried at the end scene but overall it was an empowering story about friends, trust, hardships and collaboration as a team and being unafraid of facing your fears to a valiant victory! Emma Stone and Jessica Chastain both buckled this film unto their belt of full film schedules this year; and succeeded wonderfully at portraying solid and lovable characters. Bryce Dallas Howard also shines as a cute but ignorant villain that makes the lives of all the maids a living hell. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer were strong, delightful and god-fearing women who knew their value and worth even when others couldn’t see it.


Novel written by Kathryn Stockett and screenplay adapted and directed by Tate Taylor, it was an entertaining voyage during the civil-rights movement and rich in cast and crew to making it an Award Winning cinematic delight! It was heart-warming to know the that film was about an aspiring writer and that even if justice wasn’t served at that moment; it got people to thinking about it. Viola Davis stunned at the Oscars, graceful, elegant and in the arms of her husband of many years; and I think one of the Oscar’s high-points that night was when Octavia Spencer won an Academy Award (I know I was moved to tears) J


Mississippi in the 1960’s such a short time ago; and it seemed lovely indeed; except of course for the fact that blacks weren’t allowed to do many things. It boggles my mind what in a country so great and in a time so short ago that things of this nature existed so rampantly. They say we should learn from history; but do we humans ever take heed? We still fight wars and still divide from our brothers and sisters! The journey is seemingly un-ending; but let’s hope that little by little we get there! J

1 comment:

  1. Great movie. You should read the book- it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete