Friday, March 22, 2013

Strange Circus





Written and directed by one of Japan's most controversial film-makers and poets, Shion Sono; comes one of the most disturbing yet exquisitely fascinating foreign films I've had the pleasure of seeing. The story, so haunting and grotesque it brings tears, intrigue and loathing all at once, its easy to see why this 2005 drama-mystery-horror was as captivating and brilliant as it was!

I love the idea of using poetry to express feelings that are difficult to say in the open; as well as using redundancy and flash-backs to help move the story forward with strengthened clarity. The soundtrack also pivoted the film to brilliance as it's haunting beautiful melodies etched a grief-stricken ugly truth of it's main characters. Starring sensationally first-class actors, Masumi Miyazaki, Issei Ishida and Rie Kuwana.

With a run-time of 108 minutes, this story shines light on dysfunctional families, mental instability, perversion and lost child-hood. Told in the only provocative yet sincere way Sono can; this film leaves its audience marveled, appalled yet entranced into wanting to know what happens next. Certainly not suited for younger viewers but a delightful work of art for those who can stomach it. More shocking than frightful, this film has made the 'Journey with Jair' recommended film list! :))

I'll leave you with some of my favourite lovely monologues from this film:

"Your body is a beautiful vase...flowers reflect my soul. I want to be a vase that compliments the flowers..."

"I was waiting to be executed from the time I was born...I was twelve years old when I became my mother and my mother became me..."





No comments:

Post a Comment