Saturday, February 6, 2010

Precious

So, there you have it -- only 2 days ago; I had my first 'breakdown' for the New Year, and its only the 6th of February! Pretty pathetic isn't it? I wasn't busted for LSD usage, didn't file for bankruptcy and pretty sure I wasn't abducted by aliens, but in my world, things weren't so stable anymore. You see, I've been pretty good at following the Secret and visualizing my goals and aspirations, using the 4 agreements and crossing things off my 2010 resolution list, but 2 days ago I found myself huddled in my box of a cold room eating mighty delicious chocolate and crying my eyes out to Evanesance.

Music and Film always save me, so a few hours later, after prancing in my room to Indian & Arabian music, I mustered up the courage to return telephone calls and txt messages. Didn't feel like writing, so decided to watch some good movies. I watched The Invention of Lying quite a heart-warming tale, with pockets of humor, by the charming Ricky Gervais, adorable Jennifer Garner, bubbly Jonah Hill, and the un-stoppable Tina Fey, it surely gave me a good laugh.

Next up I watched Moon a delightful sci-fi Independant film by British filmmaker Duncan Jones. It was his first film and what a thrilling ride it was!Quite thought-provoking and marvelous acting by Sam Rockwell. I thought it was well constructed and thought through, and it kept getting more and more interesting. I actually didn't want it to end. I'm puzzled though by the re-appearing image of the lady in yellow. They never did address that...Hmmm...The soundtrack as well, quite subtle but alluring in every sense, just what this type of a film needed.

Last but certainly not least I watched the highly acclaimed and dare I say most talked about film nominated for the Spirit Award in the Academys, Precious. This was a 'real' movie, and when I say that, there was such a strong reality in it, it was almost at times frightening. Some said the film was depressing, however to me, there were just the right amount of balance to stomach the tragedies, with bits of comedy and Clarice's/Precious' dream sequences. Tremendous acting, and many guest appearances by Lenny Kravitz, Mariah Carey, Sherri Shephard and Mo'Nique. I really enjoyed the amateur camera techniques they used, because it made the audience feel as though they were there, and that they could relate more to what was taking place. I actually enjoyed quite much the acting of the 'Jamaican' student. She was refreshing, I really think there should be more Caribbean actors and actresses getting parts in Hollywood...maybe a Trini...maybe me!? hahah :)) I thought it was all-in-all a wonderfully shocking story of strength, determination and inspiration to keep pushing forward, no matter the circumstance.

After seeing films like these I realize that my life isn't that dreadful. I know it isn't, but it is still 'my reality' and I will always yearn to continue succeeding and striving for excellence. My father once told me, life is like a traffic jam, you look ahead, and there is a long line of cars ahead of you, and you look behind or in the rear view mirror and you see a long line of cars behind you as well. The Desiderata says that there will always be greater and lesser persons than yourself. I suppose even if I am disheartened or disappointed with events, that it is really all about timing. Not so much always, being in the right place at the right time, but also maybe, alignment. When it is my time for success. I just need to enjoy and prepare the best I can for when it is time for this flower to bloom. I do wish though at these times I could have a warm hug...

My parents say return home; but I know that's the easy way out. I know they worry for me, but it's so easy there...I don't want to just take over their success, I want to make my own. Yes sure, at home, it's the perfect weather, lovely beaches, laid-back life, no worries for money, no worry for food. I suppose I should toughen up even more...this sacrifice is for a reason. Millions of miles away from family, my late nights writing, reading and critiquing/analyzing films, my constant interviewing, and attending my sleu of classes must be good for something. I wait...patiently...for my time to shine in the sun.

In the mean time -- Turn up the music!
I feel like dancing!!! :))
!Jair

No comments:

Post a Comment