Friday, June 11, 2010

Life is Beautiful



! Bonjourno Principessa! -- Good Morning Princess! This was the phrase Roberto Benigni used to greet his wife on screen in this beautiful film. Although to many this simple expression has little meaning, he in fact radiated such respect and love; a love so guiltless, so pure, so true! I smile because once upon a time, I too was greeted with such love every morning too.


Life is Beautiful is an Italian film and is the winner of over 70 International Film Awards; Best Picture and Best Foreign Picture in the same year since 1969; 7 Academy Award nominations, taking home 3 for Best Dramatic Score, Best Actor and Best Foreign Language Film; Best Jewish Film and gaining the Medal of Jerusalem, and in Italy, the Best Film in 9 different categories; all in 1998.


Roberto Benigni is without a doubt one of my favourite people; someone I admire and look up to. My hero list isn't very long, but for this man, he makes my heart smile. He was one of the first and few creative and talented people to write, direct and act in his very own film; not only did he accomplish all this, but also won awards for his incredible masterpiece entitled 'La Vita e Bella', in English meaning 'Life is Beautiful'. It is such a powerful and epic tour de force that it motivates me as a human every time I watch it. His film talents are not only what astound me but also in person he is a charming, energetic and comical man, very optimistic and engaging.


This film shows the injustice of World War 2, of people facing tragedy of families separated but through it all Benigni shows courage, and uses physical humor to teach his son to have the desire to survive, to keep the hope and keep smiling. This film teaches its audience to have love, forgiveness and to be unstoppable even in suffering. It is filled with adventure, action, romance, sadness and loads of comedy.


Like another of my favourite Italian films, Cinema Paradiso, it is enchanting in a sense, because it brings imagination, family and love to the forefront, having these attributes conquer all. One feels empathy for its characters because the audience is taken on an extraordinary ride of love and life. When the character is happy, we smile, and when the character is dealt suffering, we feel also sadness.


This film always puts me in a better mood. Even though by the end my eyes are red and swollen, I know I've had a good laugh as well. Roberto Benigni is a tiny man with a giant's energy and he mirrors immaculately the late and great Charlie Chaplin (English actor whom American's claim as their own because of his extensive career in America); he is very animated with his movements as though he is dancing to the sweetest of music.


My favourite moments of the film; ones that stand out for me for different reasons would be when he was speaking to his uncle about serving and bowing; Roberto's character Guido said that he should bow very low to whomever he might serve, and his uncle corrected him and said: "Think of a sunflower. They bow to the sun. But if you see some that are bowed down…it means they are dead. You're serving, you're not a servant. Serving is a supreme art. God is the 1st servant, God serves men, but he's not a servant to men…" For me this statement is poignant because people never show respect for others with menial jobs like bus drivers, janitors, waiters, workers who pick ripe grapes in the field for wine, flight attendants etc. People look down on those who are there to help them and are demanding and greedy. But everybody's job is of importance and whether you want to admit it or not; we are all equal. Who cares what part we play, what uniform we wear and how many 'Get out of Jail Free' cards we may carry? When our life comes to an end, we all rot the same, and cannot take any of this with us. We may as well show each other reverence and respect.


I also loved that they brought to light the famous German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer who taught us that with willpower you can accomplish anything; you are who you want to be! What you wish for yourself is literally in your power; therefore have no fear and expect great things to be yours after you've done the right things.


The riddles throughout the film were quite refreshing as well; I may not be the smartest of cookies but I love a good puzzle and always love coming up with new strategies to get what I want in life. Some work; others do not; but it's always fun setting them up to solve.


I really needed to see this film again today; to remind myself that yes indeed 'Life is Beautiful', and that I am free to be who I am and to speak the truth; and even if people laugh at me or say that I take life too seriously; I know who I am and what I want, and if serious is me being passionate and honest about my life; and giggles and laughter should come about because I hug and dance with a container of oatmeal because it brings me fond memories, then so be it. I will cry when I want to, and laugh when I want to and speak the truth of how I feel when I wish to because it allows me to sleep well at night; there are no elephants standing in my room; for this I am grateful for and I shan't ask any more questions but simply smile through the painful days.


I will leave you with some wise words of Roberto Benigni who said:"Sometimes only clowns can reach real tragedy!" J

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Jair! makes me want to look at those films:) And you are right! life is so beautiful....and we define our own beauty, and should not allow others to spoil that beauty...on the inside and outside... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading sweet-pea! :)) I still doh know how to spice up muh page tho. Need to dedicate some time for that. But thanx for your comment ;)

    ReplyDelete