Friday, June 11, 2010

CRASH

"Don't speak to me, unless you speak American!" this is the last line of the film called 'Crash'. Written by Bobby Moresco and directed by Paul Haggis; Canadian filmmaker. I'd never been enormously fond of policemen, in fact never been even the least fond of policemen…well maybe this one time when a police officer named Martin gave me a ride back to my car when I was stranded after having my car impounded; it was kind of fun riding in the back of his car, like I was in a scene of a movie or something, or maybe this one other time speaking with the son of a police officer, he seemed to be a pretty decent fella', so I suppose his father couldn't be that much a terror.

Crash is a film about the ugly truth; it's about prejudice, racism, fear, hope, and about how human lives are interwoven between each other; it is a heartwarming tale that takes you on a passionate journey within. Of the similarities and differences that each of us take, somewhat laughable, and many times embarrassing of how we treat and view our fellow man.

I loved the transition shots and the soundtrack was ideal for the thrilling and extreme scenes throughout the film. Crash shows that there is evil within us all; anger, fear, and ugliness that often times overpower even the best of us. It tries to remind us to not judge a book by its cover and form intolerance and discrimination against other people. There are scenes in this film that I feel many people can relate with; and things are said that would often time only discussed behind closed doors.

I find this film to be quite an enjoyable one, however I cannot say that it is the most ingenious and unique technique used for the story line. As in the flawlessly made French film 'Happenstance' the system of using related lives and turn of events has indeed been done before. What is distinctive in this film is that it is set in Los Angeles, a very eclectic place with unpredictable circumstances because of intolerance. It also has a cast filled with iconic actors like Brendan Fraser, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Sandra Bullock, and Thandie Newton (British actress) to name a few.

Adventurous stories armed with power struggles combined into one; a must-see film in my book. J

2 comments:

  1. I first saw that movie "Crash" at home...found it to be pore-raising. I had to take a class in Social and Cultual studies (not very cultural or social if you ask me) and part of class was to chose a movie that represented various cultures and how they interrelate...and we looked at Crash. It was a jaw-dropping experience to listen to what my classmates had to say after....especially being the only person who was non-caucasian in class....it opened my eyes to just how blind some Americans are...especially the Caucasians....i hope they learned some valuable lesson and was able to see the bigger picture of that movie....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly; many people are close-minded or ignorant or simply arrogant and not interested in other cultures beauty and diversity. This is an enormous problem, I agree, more people should watch this film and recieve this valuable message! :D

    ReplyDelete