Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Charlie St. Cloud



I hadn't seen 'High School Musical' and personally, I couldn't understand how a boy bursting into song and dance in a High School, was grounds enough to have his very own wax figure at Madam Tussauds. But still, this is America, and even reality stars who do nothing but complain about their life while using foul language, become famous. I was becoming increasingly curious though about Zac Efron, because he had flown with us a couple months prior, and my roommate (also a flight attendant) who doesn't like many people, let alone celebrities, spoke about how down-to-earth and polite Zac was on his flight. To top things off, since we'd been playing his new film, 'Charlie St Cloud' on all our Western-bound flights this month, I witnessed grown men gushing with the water-works while watching the film.


Hmmm…could he really be that good? To put on a performance believable enough to make grown men blubber like babies? I had to investigate, or in other words, analyze and critique the hell out of this film!


And now that I've seen it, and have wiped away the tears; I can speak about it honestly now too. Despite the fact, that Zac Efron has indeed grown up, with muscles bulging out from all the right places, he is, I repeat, he is, a decent actor. This film was not the typical fluff-film that you see Jennifer Aniston or Bradley Cooper act in, every other month; this was a solid, awe-inspiring and charming story about family, about love, about death, and about finding yourself and living again.


It was a beautiful ride. Not only do I love the sea, growing up in the Caribbean and enjoying water activities and outings with my family on my uncle's yacht. I have always dreamed about going out on a sailboat. I find it seemingly soothing, and even romantic in a sense, and look forward to experiencing it one day soon. Zac played the role of Charlie St Cloud, a big brother, man of the house, and also an esteemed competitive sailor. Although he played alongside Sam, played by Charlie Tahan as well as Amanda Crew who played Tess, I felt as though he had the bulk of emotional and somber moments. I can see now why they refer to him as the next Leonardo Di Caprio. Not only does he have a slight resemblance to the actor, but he also has a developing and respectable talent already.


The film's message is what touched me the most though; which I feel the Director Burr Steers and writer Ben Sherwood expressed in that, sometimes in life, things happen to us that break us down so badly, that we become so wrecked that we seemingly live life, as if we are dead. We are bitter, negative, un-happy and just get by day to day existing. But we must remember that with life, there is hope, and whatever we are brought to, doesn't kill us, but makes us stronger. We must live again! We must love again! We must trust again!


That reminds me of a little poem I used to recite as a small girl, which goes:


What is the use of sunlight, without the sky above?


What is the use of living, without someone to love?




With life, we have responsibility and we have 2nd chances for a reason. We go down dark paths that shake us up a bit in order to achieve other things, or put us on different paths. Sometimes these experiences are prerequisites or gifts for what we truly deserve, and/or rewards for all our good behavior. It may not seem like that at first, but soon you begin to understand, and later, the truth is revealed to you. Don't stay dead, when you're alive. Remember, the beauty, the laughter, the love you receive, and know that it will come again, and maybe it has come already, but you're afraid of taking a chance. Take that chance…it is the only way to truly live again. J

No comments:

Post a Comment