Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What Dreams May Come



There are times in life when you 'just don't want to cry' but there are times in life when you 'just have to'. 'What Dreams May Come' is one of my favourite films, and I seldom watch it even though I own it and can watch it whenever I choose. It's an oldie' but a goodie', a 1998 Academy Award Winner for Best Visual Effects, Screen Play by Ron Bass, Directed by Vincent Ward, and played by Robin Williams, Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Annabella Sciorra. This film is enormously satisfying with breathtaking cinematography and backdrop beauty, harrowing subject matter and genuine, heartfelt performances by its cast. It is about a love that goes beyond life and death, and a journey only the strong-willed could survive. This is a film I would recommend any day of the week, but beware it may rip you up inside.


I feel like it's 'just what the doctor ordered' for me. Here are some of the wonderful quotes from the film, and then I will leave you with my final thoughts:


"It ends when you want it to"


"It will move when you want it to"


"You choose what you want to see"


"You're in your house right now. That doesn't mean you are your house. If your house falls down, you get up and you walk away…just rebuild"


"Thought is real, physical is the illusion"


"When you do, you will"


"…you don't have to break in half to love somebody…"


"Sometimes you have to decide to move on…or not"


"Don't punish yourself, say what's in your heart…then let go"


"Don't lose your mind. Don't let her reality become yours, you might never come back"


"When you're dead, you disappear"


"This is a one-way ticket for me. My hanging around here…is not helping you, and its killing me. So today is kind of a D-day. D for decision"


"Look what happens when you don't say anything for a month"


"Good people end up in hell, because they can't forgive themselves…well, I forgive you"


"Travel here is like everything else. Close your eyes and you're there; once you know where you're going"


"What's true in our minds is true, whether some people know it or not"


"I cannot be you…so I've left you alone, but please, don't give up on life okay…I love you"


"I'm sorry for the all the things I cannot give you"




These are only a handful of the many brilliant and positive quotations sprinkled throughout this film. It certainly is close to the philosophy I try to live by, and although it is somewhat of a tragic film, stunning beauty is what emerges every time. As I mentioned in my earlier 'review' on the film 'Charlie St Cloud', don't live life as a dead person. You have to feel, and go through these feelings to be a tender, wise, stronger and enriched individual. Shake off the sadness, helplessness and weak moments; a wonderful person I care about once told me, "You are stronger than you think!" And that's right, we are stronger than we sometimes believe ourselves to be, although it hurts now, know that something bright and divine is only around the corner.




I will leave you with one of my favourite quotes from this film, which goes:




"Sometimes when you lose…you win!" J

No comments:

Post a Comment