Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Reef


So it wasn't even 2 weeks ago during one of my rides to the hotel, that I had my fellow flight mates laughing at the top of their lungs because they thought my statement about sharks was funny. It was around the same time that the shocking photos of the man swimming near a whale-shark surfaced on the internet and newspapers and my flight mates and I were discussing it in utter amazement. They asked me, "What's the difference between a shark and a whale-shark?" Even though my beloved Dadsy is a retired biologist, and I wasn't any expert on the topic anyhow, I said quite naturally, "It's like a shark, but it doesn't eat people!" They couldn't stop laughing, and blurted out in between giggles, "Sharks don't eat people, they just take a bite!" I laughed too.


I'd seen 'The Reef' keep coming up as a recommended film on Netflix and I kept passing it by, thinking it was probably like 'Jaws'; and it isn't that I dislike Jaws, but I dislike it greatly when filmmakers keep trying to tell the same story over and over again. If there's a classic, do it well, and do it once, I say! It was a long day, and I felt for some entertainment, perhaps something nail-bitingly engaging, something I wouldn't have to cry or over-analyze, just squirm in my seat and stare intently from between my fingers from my hands covering my face. This movie was just what the doctor ordered!


This 2010 Australian film was set along, where else, but the infamous Great Barrier Reef. It was a simple, yet riveting film about 5 friends whom went out for a swim, and had their boat capsized in the middle of the sea. It's quite obvious our viewers knew what was in store for our characters, but we watch on in trepidation anyway. It was neat to see the transition of calm, beautiful blue sea filled with reef and colourful fishes and turtles to the thumping sounds, excellent screaming and water-so-deep-it'll-make-you-sick-because-you-know-sharks-are-down-there. I thought the writer/director Andrew Traucki, could have been a bit more inventive than naming the yacht 'Boomerang', and come up with a little more reality, than having them fall asleep, and wake up in the middle of the ocean the following morning un-harmed, and as soon as they swim again, the 'same' shark decides he wants breakfast.


There wasn't any attractive dialogue, strong connections with the characters, any snazzy camera work or compelling music like that of 'Jaws'; only the fact that we knew the Great Whites were coming and the shock at when they did arrive. It was a fun movie – no block-buster, and voila no 'Jaws' either!


Needless to say; sharks EAT people! ha ha I rest my case! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment