Sunday, October 2, 2011

Red Riding Hood

Yes, that's right; I watched yet another film starring Amanda Seyfried. It's beyond me how she has climbed the stairs of film stardom seemingly overnight, when I find her performances far from dazzling. I had to watch this film though because I am a huge fan of fairy-tales and adaptations of these fine pieces of work that although newly disguised and alluring for children, really had much darker and forewarning messages for past youth.


Now, I fancy the story of Little Red Riding Hood, I also fancied Virginia Madsen's performance in 'Candy Man' one of the scariest horror films I've seen to date, and I also have respect for Gary Oldman, English actor that has made a name for himself in award winning and nominating films like one of my favourites 'The Fifth Element' as well as The Professional; but I would be lying if I were to write here in front of you and say that I marveled at the astonishing work adapted by writer David Johnson and director Catherine Hardwicke.


This film had so much potential. A classic tale, a wonderful twist, but sadly terrible cast and not nearly enough back-story to congeal what transpired. Despite the expected height of acting expelled from Amanda Seyfried, it was side-splitting to know that the entire ancient town spoke with an American accent except for Valerie's (Amanda Seyfried) love interest #2 Henry played by Max Irons. Now to give some credit to the work put into this film, I must say that the camera techniques and camera angles and photography was first-rate thanks to Australian Cinematographer Mandy Walker.


Its shame that it took Warner Bros. $42,000,000 to create this 'could-be' classic film; and they only made $14,000,000 on opening weekend.

2 comments: