Sunday, October 2, 2011

Straw Dogs

Rather delightful for me to see a current film in the cinema for once; despite me attending alone, it was a sensationally thrilling date. Dadsy mentioned that this film was a re-make from the earlier version made in 1971, where an American and his English wife were harassed relentlessly upon returning to rural England. I knew lately Hollywood had been spitting out re-makes of movies because sadly it seemed as though they didn't have any fresh ideas. Some were successful, but the majority; well let's just say it's better when you leave a good thing alone. Surely I should have watched the original one first, written by David Zelang Goldman, and screenplay and direction by Sam Peckinpah. I'm sure it would be a great escapade with the likes of Dustin Hoffman and the beautiful Susan George. But alas, I was forced to make a decision between 'I Don't Know How She Does It' starring Sarah Jessica Parker or Straw Dogs. It makes perfect sense which one I gladly chose; and the trailer with Kate Bosworth and James Marsden didn't look too bad either.


Lemme' just say before I go on further about the dynamics, and technicalities of the film to say what a sight for sore eyes and chiseled to perfection is Swedish stud-muffin and actor Alexander Skarsgård. I will not be watching True Blood anytime soon as Hollywood has truly killed the thrill and sacredness of what vampires used to be; but I must say his role on that show as well as the numerous other projects he's been working on of late, he continues to put Sweden on the map, for its brilliant directors, writers and actors. What a lucky girl Kate Bosworth is to have him arm-in-arm! And now that we've gotten the eye-candy dilemma out of the way we can move forward on the excellent acting also done by the memorable Kate Bosworth and boyish and captivating James Marsden. Tis true I haven't had the opportunity to compare both the old and new films; however I can vouch that the 2011 Straw Dogs was highly entertaining and the only film that 'really' made me squirm uncomfortably in my seat this year (which I absolutely adore).


Israeli-born Rod Lurie did a fantastic job at adapting this classic into an impressive, jolting and incredibly stimulating film. I really cared for the reflection techniques used in this film; as I always find it a more challenging and principal approach in good motion pictures. I look even more closely for reflections in mirrors and glass, but could find none in this film; making it a lovely plus. The cinematography of the nature in the swamps and forest were also breathtaking as well as the shots (no pun intended) of the deer. It was a gripping, nauseating and eventful ride, this film, and I would gladly recommend it to anyone for a lovely date night; even alone. J

2 comments:

  1. My cousin just gave this movie a good review too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah - wonderful.
    Thanks for reading - check it out ;) xx

    ReplyDelete