Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Gravity



There was so much hype behind this movie, not to mention the amount of accolades, recognition, nominations and awards that it was high on my list of Oscar winning movies to see. Written and Directed by Mexican Alfonso Cuaron and starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, this 2013 Drama/Sci-Fi/Thriller had me captivated for a lot shorter than I’d have liked.

With a budget of an estimated $100 million USD, with production contracts with Warner Bros. and a run-time of 91 minutes, lets just say ‘Houston had no problem’ with bringing in a cool $270 million USD at the box-office a few months later.

I must admit there were many beautiful cinematic moments throughout, and I am certain the writer, director, 2 actors and voice actors put in a lot of work to make this story semi-believable; however I must also tell the truth that this same story was not compelling enough to hold my attention or wonder when it was going to end. It wasn’t my cup of tea, but proved to be exhilarating for many. 

The main message of the film though was priceless; teaching our audience that the world is a lot bigger than we perceive and that we are not in control of everything. There’s something a lot bigger than all of us and we got to learn to let go.

I’ll leave you with some quotes from the film:

“Houston, I have a bad feeling about this mission.”

“Half of North America just lost their Facebook.”


“I get it. It’s nice up here. You can just shut down all the systems, turn out all the lights, and just close your eyes and tune out everyone. There’s nobody up here that can hurt you. It’s safe. I mean, what’s the point of going on? What’s the point of living? Your kid died. Doesn’t get any rougher than that. But still, it’s a matter of what you do now. If you decide to go, then you gotta just get on with it. Sit back, enjoy the ride. You gotta plant both your feet on the ground and start liven’ life. Hey, Ryan? It’s time to go home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment