Thursday, September 29, 2016

The Island



What a way to end my month of movie reviews! ‘The Island’ was everything I needed to see, Action/Adventure/Romance/Fantasy/Science-Fiction and Comedy. This 2005 film had all great elements reminiscent of one of my favourite films ‘The Fifth Element’. Directed by Michael Bay, and written by English Caspian Tredwell-Owen and Alex Kurtzman, this film was everything I didn’t expect. I love Scottish Ewan McGregor’s work and Steve Buscemi is always so interesting to look at on screen, I decided to give it a whirl.

I’m so glad I did!  The story is strong and interesting and it grips the audience all along the way. Scarlett Johansson is darling in this and it was nice to see the late, great Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile) give a strong performance too. Dijon Hounsou from Cotonou, Benin whom you may remember from ‘Amistad’ also had a positive, strong role which is always refreshing to see on the big screen. With a budget of $126 million USD, this film didn’t triple at the box-office, however did get 1 win and 6 other nominations that year.


Would I watch it again? Yes, by george, I want to own this film! Sensationally entertaining from start to finish!


No comments:

Post a Comment