Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Wolfman

I had been dying to see The Wolfman, starring Benicio del Toro and Anthony Hopkins, weeks before it was due out in theaters. Two great actors set in haunting and historic England and then about werewolves; this sounded like a good recipe for a frightful and exciting night.

Unfortunately, I didn't jolt or jump, not even once! My heart didn't race, my palms weren't sweaty, and I didn't anger, because nobody screamed! What were Joe Johnston, Andrew Kevin Walker and David Self thinking when they had such an excellent cast and idea on their side? I admit, I don't scare easily, I could watch a scary movie, by myself, at midnight, in the middle of a foggy cemetery! However, to this day, when I watch The Shining, or Pet Cemetery, something still stirs inside me!

There were so many things wrong with this movie; sad to say, because these are 2 beloved actors of mine but wretchedly it was a tremendous disappointment.

Firstly, there wasn't enough back-story, flash-backs are all well and good, but to truly have your audience commit and believe in something as werewolves, it always calls for thorough research and complete investment in wheedling into your audience's mind. Secondly, the casting was dreadful! Seriously, how can Anthony Hopkins be the father of Benicio del Toro? Why was Emily Blunt even there? And those gypsies, they looked as if they all had a bad spray-on tan. Thirdly, as much as I love Benicio's acting, it was substandard of him to be the only one in the film, not even attempting to speak in a British accent. Yes, what we did get from the little back-story shared was that he spent some time in America. Many foreigners have spent time in America, but we certainly haven't lost our entire native accent!

On a lighter note, the soundtrack was traditional for this type of film, and the cinematography was charming. Acting by Anthony Hopkins was superb as always, and also by the detective played by Hugo Weaving. Good date movie? Not! Film I'd want to watch to get a good laugh? Maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment