Monday, March 8, 2010

The Oscars 2010

The night we've all been waiting for; or at least the night I have been faithfully waiting for. This was probably the only time I got to see the majority of films before the Oscars. I studied them every night for couple months prior, I watched the behind the scene segments, I listened to the musical scores, evaluated the acting and carefully followed the story line, which in my opinion is the most important part of any film. It's all about the story; because without the story, we wouldn't have anything else!

Well, I must say that for the 82nd Academy Awards, I was fairly disappointed with the outcome. It isn't only because my darling Jack (Nicholson) didn't show up, but maybe also because The Hurt Locker took home the majority of awards and definitely most likely because some people I watched it with not only talked through poignant points but placed severe judgment on films they did not even see.

I was unable to catch the display of dresses on the red carpet, but even though the gowns are absolutely breathtaking the incessant chatter is something I don't complain about missing.

I completely loved the interior/stage design, the dancing segment showcasing best musical scores, and my personal favourite, Ben Stiller coming on stage acting and speaking as an Avatar, as well as the ode to best Horror Films! I liked as usual how they gave good edited shorts of nominated movies, tribute to those who have changed film as we know it and also respect and honor for those who have passed on. The animated shorts coming to life for the Academies is always adorable, and the ever delightful and amusing Steve Martin and witty Alec Baldwin was something to see as well. My most touching moment though would have to be the directors and writers of short films that continued on to make future feature length films montage which inspired me a great deal, because they said things like, you've got to get your work out there, and that you should believe in your dreams. A dear friend gave me a lovely plaque last week as a gift that read, 'If you Dream it, you can achieve it'; a moving message that we all should ingest.

My disappointments, The Hurt Locker… For those of you that have read my previous blog on Avatar vs. The Hurt Locker, in the February month, can understand my discontent with this movie, winning over Avatar. Don't get me wrong; I respect Kathryn Bigelow, as a woman, as a director, and as a first time winner of Best Female Director, that is undoubtedly groundbreaking, and quite a feat. But because of my love for Avatar and knowing the tremendous amount of work put into it and its powerful message, I feel saddened.

One of the people in the group that watched the Academies with me said that he was happy Avatar didn't win Best Picture because he thought it was like Disney's Pocahontas. Another said that Avatar was all about the white man winning and saving the day. One fell asleep during it and one said they identified more with The Hurt Locker because the main character had more of a weight on his shoulder with having a family to survive and provide for back at home. How can someone be so dismissive and brutal to say such a nasty things when they don't care about the efforts and overall messages of films? Yea sure, it's great to give your point of view, it certainly counts, but James Cameron and his team took 10 years to make that movie.

This is where it gets tricky because people will not like what I have to say. Firstly, you cannot put Avatar in the same category as Pocahontas. So what if the story of Avatar has been told several times before, it's a story, and it was executed in an entirely unique, stunning and entertaining way. Even though the actors were computer generated, didn't mean that their performances weren't anything but marvelous and whether people want to admit it or not, Avatar IS the most grossed movie at the box-office to date! The Hurt Locker's story has also been told so many times before. It was also told with remarkable cinematography, gritty images and stupendous acting, but really how can you even compare the two.

Avatar shows reality of the ravages of war, of how first world countries or countries like America become greedy and because of their selfish rationales totally devastate communities and societies. The Hurt Locker tells a story of again powerful countries like America supposedly saving an already desolate land from religious fanatics, but still have underhanded motives for being there and in the process of doing good (disarming bombs); still treat it's native people disrespectfully with their arrogance and demolish communities as well.

Both movies done with incredible cinematography, but one done by a female director in harsh conditions, directing a cast of only men, and the other Avatar by a male director, to both male and female actors, as well with a team of technical experts. One for tree-huggers and those who understand the importance of universal peace, the other for people that like to pretend to be a patriot, and try to solve problems, when they still blow things up. The Hurt Locker film giving a feel of grittiness and reality, and Avatar, a journey of enormous beauty and truth.

Let's not forget the other lovely films also nominated. Precious, had phenomenal acting and story, I was quite pleased Mo'Nique won Best Supporting Actress, but truly very gloomy that Gabourney Sidibe didn't get to even hop on stage to hand out an award. She only sat quietly and shed tears from her seat, when truly her performance was astounding. Up in the Air, was an emotional ride for me, only because it reminds me so much of my current life as a flight attendant. It was a story well told. Sandra Bullock winning Best Actress for The Blind Side, very surprised at that. I mean, anyone can play a rich person saving a poor one, I thought that her acting was much better in Crash. Up, the animated film, I loved from the first moment I saw it, it wasn't just for children but actually a very adult story with a twist; a man finding his dream of adventure with the help of young enthusiasm. Invictus, not necessarily my favourite, but Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon always showcase superb acting skills, and a great twist on a story that must be told. My preferred choice, after Avatar though, were The Lovely Bones and Moon, those were the most thrilling and thought-provoking for me.

Why am I so passionate about these films and award shows in general? Because I have worked behind the scenes in films, and for anyone who has done grips, or lights or those who run behind the scenes in extreme weather and has put in blood, sweat, tears and most importantly time into a project can tell you how I feel. For people to judge without realizing the amount of effort people put into a project is quite poor conduct to say the least. I myself hope to win awards one day and these people who win, the writers, directors, actors and all the people who work behind the scenes are people I ought to learn from.

Yes, it does hurt me that James Cameron didn't win Best Picture or Director, but his message and story is put out there hopefully inspiring positive change, and that is the most important thing. All in all those films were nominated because they were the best, and they deserved to be there. I'm really proud of all the people behind the scenes that work together as a team and develop something mind blowingly enjoyable. And for the fans, every point of view is an important one, whether it be American, or foreigner because guess what? You've got to see the BIGGER picture; it's about humans telling a story. We're all connected; sooner or later you'll figure it out. This is what makes great film and by George, I hope they keep making things for us to debate, learn and talk about J

My pledge, for next year's academy awards, get my own tele' to watch it in the quiet comfort of my own home! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment