Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Save the Humans

I saw this phrase one day as I greeted a man that came onto my aircraft one day; he wore it proudly on his shirt, but it was hard to tell if he even knew what it really meant. I thought about it more and then it really resonated with me, and it made perfect sense. We always see signs saying 'Save the Whales' or 'Save the Forests' but we in fact needed to save ourselves. Why be so selfish, some would say? Humans only destroy the beauty around them. Yes, tis true; they are such a destructive and sordid type of race, to love in one breath and curse it tomorrow. It truly is quite sad; but we are sick; sick in the mind, sick in the head, brainwashed to believe that something is 'cool' or that something is 'weird'. We are constantly fighting our egotistic human traits that carry steady worry about what people think of us or how we match up in society; when the reality is that none of this really matters. We need to love one another and treat each other right; we need to say how we feel and be okay with saying it, we need to realize that without relationships that are meaningful then our life has smaller purpose. You see; it is all about sharing, we are here to share experiences, and wisdom and most of all love.

And so now here we are on the topic of sharing. Something we do so much about many trivial and unimportant things; like what we bought at the mall, or how hot the weather is, or why you don't like sushi. I'm not speaking about this sort of incessant chatter; but speak about a more vital type of sharing, about things that inspire or touch individuals' lives. Everything you do; everything you say is inspiration to somebody else. People are watching you, whether you are aware of it or not. Therefore if you decide to not carry on with your life or simply fail to continue it with light and love, you are in turn affecting another's life. We are all connected…rivers into the sea, fingers on a hand, ripples on a curtain…one love, on bread, one body. Therefore each deed in turn creates positive and negative responses.

I had been depressed lately. Yes, here it is; I'll finally admit it; and I never like to show my weakness, but after learning that it's okay to cry in public and on stage/set; I know also that it is okay to admit that I had fallen and become lost for a while. After the 1st week, I'd convinced the one I loved that I was fine and dandy, but I lied; it was only me suffering early signs of withdrawal. On the 2nd week I'd lied and told my parents that I was happy again, when I still cried every other day. By the 3rd week, I smiled bravely amongst friends, although I could still feel the aching in my heart, and by the 4th week, still suffering from inner dread, I got myself into a nasty car accident. I can safely say 3 days now after this incident I am truly smiling and myself again; because I was able to put things in perspective and shake things off thankfully without temporary alleviations like wine/drugs. With a now tattered car, similar to the insides of my heart, my body came out pretty good and protected. It took me 4 weeks to go from one side of the 'bonker' spectrum to the other and I do reckon Mahatma Gandhi was right; suffering does bring you to greatness!

After this emotional nightmare I have realized that we don't own anything. We are given a body, and breath and tools to survive, and we don't have control over many things. We are only to hold on with good graces and excel with what is given to us. When we are grateful and aware of the world's abundance and exquisiteness and we give love with our fellow man we are rewarded with numerous gifts. But I have realized also that we are rewarded only when the time is right; not before or after. Most times in life it seems like scores of bad things happen to good people; but the universe doesn't give you anything you cannot handle. They are only tests to make you stronger for your future enormity. So when you do good; and you put all your heart into it, don't worry, everyone is smiling. The angels are rejoicing, the nature spirits are dancing, and the universe is merry because you are doing so very well.

So back to the point that we don't own anything; we don't own anything but how we react and deal with situations in life. It may not be fair; it may not be conceivable the things you feel that you have to go through. For somebody you fancy to turn from Dr. Jekyll, charming, alluring, loving, and trustworthy to Mr. Hyde, in the matter of a disagreement on a situation, they turned to someone that is cold, uncaring, and astonishingly different from anything you could have ever fathomed. To not being there for you when you were stranded in the streets of a lonely and unfamiliar place. To not even call to see how badly you were bleeding or to hear a person's voice to see if they needed comforting. To suddenly being too busy in a day, with no bathroom breaks or lunch breaks to say, "How are you?", "I miss you." Or "I still think of you, but I'm sorry things had to end like this…" Absolutely nothing; it makes you feel as though you had not a positive impact on that person's life in the least; that everything experienced with them was only a façade. For you know that no matter what you were doing or where you were going you would be there for that person, at the drop of a hat, to make sure they were okay, as a friend, or a lover, because you truly cared that much…

Some of you will say; well it 'ain't' that easy. And you'd be right, but nothing good comes easy, now does it? It's an ongoing struggle to remind ourselves of how grateful we should be, of how we should treat others, of how we should seek the truth, of how we should redeem ourselves and forgive ourselves to become better people. Of how we should know that we deserve better and not confuse or pretend or settle in life; of how anything is possible with only a mustard seed of faith.

For the impossible becomes possible; and you can heal your life and finally…really…smile again…J So yes, let's please 'Save the Humans', for if we nurture ourselves, we can spread positivity to heal our dying planet too.

Live for this moment; the past is the past; and it is what it is; live for the now; you have people that can help you; friends that really care; help yourself; you can get out of this. Shake it off; Life is too short! Human emotions are intense; but save yourself before it's too late, enjoy the simple pleasures… J

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Jair...i can feel your emotions in this blog...i really enjoy your writings....and i feel like i connect with this piece...continue to bless others with your writing Jair!

    ReplyDelete