Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hang in There



I was always a late bloomer; I mean what did you expect from a girl born in paradise, enveloped in lush rainforest and perfect weather. I was lucky, really; and although I was not ridden of problems, I was doing pretty alright for myself if I decided to just stay there. On that little island, wading my feet in the lucid sea; twisting a lime over lobster for supper and maybe opening up a 'sun-tan (natural vitamin D) saloon'. For some reason; I yearned to see more and to learn more; I learned about pain, loneliness, humility and sorrow, about heart-ache and lies and greed too. I learnt it alright; and sometimes I think I could have done without all this tainting, but I know it makes me even more powerful for the greatness I one day will attain.


So the roller-coaster of life goes, UP and then DOWN again; and I hold on with tightly closed eyes, latching on for dear life, and Bonnie Hunt says, "Hang in there…" [haha]. Well; not really, but she did say it in the film 'Jerry Maguire'. Yes; can you believe it! I have only now recently seen this film and I know it is not the most recent of films. On a layover in London recently I had the pleasure of settling in to this film I've heard so much about but never seen. I believe things come to you when you are ready for it and it won't come a day earlier or a day late, but right on time!


I'd never been an enormous fan of Tom Cruise; for a number of different reasons, but one should remember that 'nadie es perfecto' – nobody's perfect and if the 'Mission Impossible' theme song didn't have me rooting for his character, then this film surely would be it. How charming he was; how much I loved his character. My goodness! He went through so much turmoil it was almost insane the feats he had to withstand, but he 'hung in there' and he came out on top! Of course! A happy ending! How I love those! J


I loved the way he would tell me to wear sun block if it was a scorcher, or wear a jacket when it was cold. I loved the way he would make annoying popping sounds, like 'Donkey' from 'Shrek' with his mouth, but somehow it made me smile so. I loved the way he leaned to the side when he drove his snazzy sports vehicle. I loved the way he fell asleep and I would let the rose petals tickle his relaxed face. I love how we would laugh at the silliest things like 'Store Owner' and that I'd light a candle that smelt like him anytime I wanted him close…Sigh***


Oh! Wait! Wrong story, different time and certainly not Tom Cruise! J Now where were we? Ah yes - Bonnie Hunt; yes! I was lucky to have her on one of my flights about a month or two ago. I've had many celebrities on flights, many of whom I knew little about, many of whom I didn't fancy, many of whom were demanding and spoilt, many of whom changed people's lives forever with simply a song or a good film. Bonnie for me was joy! She and her traveling buddy laughed the entire flight. She was courteous and sweet, and even though she pushed the flight attendant button a little too much for our liking, we didn't hesitate to make her comfortable. I know Bonnie has her own talk show now, but little did I know she was the big sister character of Renee' Zhellwegger in the film 'Jerry Maguire'. I admired her character a great deal because although she seemed hard-hitting, she was really a delicate flower who only wanted the best for her younger sister. She loved her so much; but knew she had to let her go if she were to have any chance at resolving issues that were still very much a gaping wound in her heart.


"You had me at Hello!" Wow; now I finally know where that tired phrase came from. It's funny how some movies completely revolutionize an entire century or time. Like 'Thelma and Louise' or 'Rocky' or one of my favourites, "Hello Johnny!" said by Jack Nicholson, one of my favourite American Hollywood actors. This is why I love film! The writers, directors, actors and even lighting, grip, and sound people all collaborate and work together to create something so influential, so astonishing, so inspiring, that it evokes not only hundreds of emotions but also positive change within the world. I think this film certainly spoke of the heart and to the heart. Each character was wishing and hoping and aspiring to achieve greatness. Whether it was becoming the star player of the NFL; or obtaining true love, or having wealth to provide for his family, or proving how much you loved BLACK PEOPLE! [haha]; everyone that wished for something got it in the end because they used their heart, they didn't give up and they realized who was really their true friends.


I loved the line…"Jerry, why did you get married huh?"


And Jerry replied, "Because of loyalty…she was always there for me…"


And even though that was a good enough answer, I loved that he found out why he really loved her, why she was really loyal, and why they really worked. She believed in him, she stood by him, she loved him with all of her heart, she was there for him when his girlfriend bashed in his face; literally, and she took the risk at beginning something with him, although she knew it would be dangerous because she felt as though she didn't want to miss out on the most beautiful man who inspired her from the beginning.


Kudos to Jerry Maguire & Kudos to Tom Cruise! J

No comments:

Post a Comment