Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Assumptions




I tend to find myself in sometimes rather un-savory situations, certainly not intentionally but surely because of lack of luster or strength to truly express my "No's". You see, I expect that everyone should respect one another; it is one of the wisest and greatest virtues in my book. For if you treat people the way you wish to be treated, the world would be a much friendlier and fair place. Apparently I missed the memo in that the world today, doesn't work that way; in turn, for my lack of love at filing paperwork, I become stuck in sticky situations with people who adore disrespecting and using me and my energy till the very small amounts of meat I've got on my bones, is pretty much sucked dry! Arrgggh! The torment!


I was told the other day by one of my new and dear friends, that if I was any gentler or polite, I'd be pretty much a sponge or an amoeba! I realized promptly that this wasn't a compliment, and however harsh was said with utmost love and absolutely necessary. People will take advantage of you or cross boundaries and limitations if you don't set any for yourself. I knew she was right; and it's not that I didn't see that, it's just that I always prefer to give others the benefit of the doubt.


Many people believe they can read one another like an open book. They make assessments and judgments based on what their parents taught them, on the experiences they've had, good or bad, and of course from what they view on film and the television. They shuffle you into boxes or brackets or quotation marks whenever they deem necessary and most times they haven't begun yet to scratch the surface. We're all guilty of judging and making assumptions, but should we really automatically do this without first giving the person a chance?


We are all reflections of one another, along the same path at different points in life, and despite a person's demeanor, personality or physical attributes, we know very little about that person's belief system, childhood structures or life ambitions. We must remember that what we give of ourselves, we receive; which takes me back to my philosophy of respect being an enormous virtue. Treat people the way you wish to be treated. Period.


Assumptions and Ego, get you nowhere in life, except disappointed. Be open to the lessons available to you throughout your journey here, think of it like a University degree, and each course you take, despite the deadlines, boring teachers and the adventure of scales, algorithms and thrilling adjectives, the more you challenge yourself, the better your CV will look. For once you do the right things, and listen to that voice within, which always ring true, then sure enough when you're in that interview before entering the next stage after your time here, you'll have impressive character and heart, and there's only one that can judge you based on the sincerities of your heart. J

2 comments:

  1. OMG Jair!!! i can totally relate to this....missed reading your blog for a while...but this one hit the spot! excellent writing as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh darling!
    Thank-you! I'm glad you liked it.
    Thanks for reading, and for your continued inspiration :D See you soon! xx

    ReplyDelete