Sunday, April 17, 2011

Picnic at Hanging Rock


I'd been recommended this film a few years back by one of my ever-peculiar yet brilliant Kiwi friends. Even though he was born and raised in New Zealand, he had married an Australian and although the culture is strangely different, he identified with many things Aussie as well. I love a good scare and took him up on his suggestion a couple nights ago. It was nothing that I expected, but everything I'd hoped it'd be until the very end. Apparently it was based on a true story; set in the early 1900's and was made in 1975 directed by Peter Weir. It was the first Australian film to reach international audiences and received much acclaim for both cinematic and Australian history. Although I do not find Sydney or New Zealand to be one of my favourite visited places; I do have respect for the director, actors, and vision of bringing forth good film and story.


I especially loved the 18th/19th century style of clothing worn throughout the film; the high necklines and puffy sleeves, A-line skirts, handkerchiefs and gloves. The story also was a compelling one; I found it similar to great Stephen King films which audiences are always able to identify with, as it begins ordinary and believable, until that one thing takes us to a climax, and because of the unknown, fear is instilled within us. A pretty good film all-in-all; beautiful actresses, lovely music and thought-provoking in that we really wonder, what did happen to those girls on St. Valentine's Day. I wished though, that the ending was more settling or concluded better, so as to not leave an enormous gap within the viewers minds' as to what might have happened to the missing girls. Even though in reality, there are sometimes no answers, I believe it is the writer and directors job, if they are telling a story and they wish to convey a thought, message or change; then they should have better ways or ideas of completing what they started or set out to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment