Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sounds








I know what you're thinking. What an odd title for a blog! But never mind that; think about how interesting this read is going to be. I'm learning much about sounds lately. Not that I'm un-aware of the already fascinating and soothing sounds already surrounding me; like birds chirping the morning and afternoon periods, or the jolly Mexican food truck that honks his 'song-of-a-horn' in my neighbourhood, or the sound of footsteps, and whispers and the hum of refrigerators or hummingbird's wings. Yes; there is a hummingbird that lives near my balcony, such a lovely little thing. J The sounds I'm speaking about are more of the sounds that people make.







I've been noticing lately because of my Improv and acting classes, that there are cultural sounds people make. In other countries, outside America, and mine included, we tend to show appreciation, delight or give praise by applauding or gracefully using words to express ourselves. Here in America, I realize that they tend to make many sounds to express themselves in different ways; by screaming, shouting, yelling, or grunting. Just look at how the audience on MTV or a game show greets the invited guest; or perhaps how they celebrate victory at the Olympics; or still yet depict different emotions on any given day. There may be applause, but most times added onto that there are huge amounts of squealing involved also.







I am finding that in my classes, both my teachers are encouraging me to make more sounds with my scenes and I must admit it is a challenge for me to make sounds willingly for extra added effects. Even though, I believe there isn't one right way to express praise or emotion; some bowing gracefully, or giving applause I find this new technique acceptable enough and I understand that to stand out or make a lasting impression in Hollywood auditions, I must venture to make sounds, to add that extra liveliness to casting director and agents.







The journey continues, and I'm learning so much…It is alright to scream uncontrollably like a group of drunk fraternity boys! Just another tool to add to my acting/film tool-box for when I need them most. J

No comments:

Post a Comment