Thursday, February 16, 2012

200 Pounds Beauty

“The wind knocks on the window, over the room, as small as me. Twinkling stars so beautiful. Filling the room with love. Don’t be hurt. Caressing my wound gently, embracing me to sleep. Too hurt for my legs to walk. Eyes so blurry with tears. Before love, never meant for me. I will keep on smiling, like those stars embroidered in my eyes. I will love you forever.”


This 2006 Korean Romantic Comedy was a real treat. Although there were several silly moments within, its true subject stemmed with issues of the heart. How does society view you? What is acceptable? What is attractive? How should one behave? These serious questions were asked over and over again; but more importantly how far would you go to change yourself so that the one you love would notice you, would love you?


Written by Hye-yeong No and Yong-hwa Kim and directed by Yong-hwa Kim, they were able to acutely zone into the audience heartstrings by making it easier for us to identify with the main character Ah-jung Kim who played Kang Han-na. It's not just the weight we can identify with; but also there are times when we struggle with our self-esteem and worth based on how others treat us. We went on the journey of her life before and after her transformation and because of dialogue, close-shots and timing, we had enough time to sit with her loneliness and wishes for love. We felt pain when she did based on how others treated her and used her, only in their time of need and because of this strategy, this film was an enormous success!


A very common story, told in an extra-ordinary way; superb dramatic pauses, timing and a healthy dose of comedy made this film a Korean classic. I absolutely adored the script with its many nuances and references, but what I loved the most was that they said the truth. There weren’t any hidden messages or riddles, but simply put which made it identifiable for everyone. My favourite lines being:


“…do you know what it’s like to love someone from afar?”


“You broke my heart! Tissue won’t fix it!”


“I’m dead – I died yesterday – you can let me die, or help me to live…”


Beautiful film – a lovely treat from one of my charming girlfriends; those that remind you that words and actions are different; talk is talk; but you know the truth when people’s words match their actions – thanks for the truth! J

No comments:

Post a Comment