Friday, February 17, 2012

The Tree of Life

I was uber excited when I had the opportunity to see this film; I can’t remember what the previews looked like, or why I had such enthusiasm to see it; but it was far from what I expected. I saw Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain (Ron Howard’s daughter) starring; I thought, well this ought to be good. Well...perhaps it was good for some people. This must be one of the SLOWEST films I have seen to date; especially for an American film. It reminded of the AMOS television channel they play in hotel rooms, with beautiful landscape and things and music in the background; so in other words glorified music videos of the sky, planets, molecules, jellyfish and dinosaurs…Yes, you heard me correctly…Dinosaurs!


There were some loving and beautiful intimate quotes whispered throughout the film; but if your volume isn’t all the way up, you’re likely to miss them. Some of them include:


“Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?”


“Life by life…I search for you…my hope…my child…”


“The only way to be happy is to love. Unless you love, your whole life will flash by.”


“I give him to you. I give you my son.”


I must say there was brilliant cinematography, and lovely close-shots of this film’s characters, but because most of it was a mystery and there was very little dialogue, the audience had to create their own assumptions, and it left us very disconnected with all of the characters.


Written and directed by Terrence Malik, with a larger-than-life cast; I cannot say that there was a good story-line, acting, or film-friendly production. Visually appealing yes, but unfortunately uninspiring, no definitive message; to me it seemed like a glorified Gregorian chant music video. L

No comments:

Post a Comment