Sunday, August 15, 2010

Blessings in Disguise

I know there have been several times where I felt anguish and miserable and hopeless; thinking why is this happening to me? But in reality I know that the world is not against me, and why shouldn't it happen to me? It is my experience, my growth, my journey. In fact; looking back on these shoddy moments I realize how much beauty comes from it because if I didn't go through this situation I would never be able to see the outcome or reason for it happening in the first place.

I had the opportunity to visit my Great Aunts recently in Trinidad & Tobago, still haven't seen my grandparents but it'll be all about them next time. My great aunts are special in themselves, like 3 little nuns that live together. They are charming, polite, sweet, so many lovely things wrapped up into their tiny frames. Two above the age of 90 years old…yet still so vibrant, cherry and alert. Well they taught me that 'With every disappointment, it is really a blessing in disguise'. I had to sit with this one…and then eventually it came to me. This simple statement indeed meant so much; for in reality it is a good thing that we don't see right away. We only feel the pain and are blind to what the bigger picture is. We're like small children, "I want this! And I want it now! Why can't I have this! It's not fair! Everybody else has it, why can't I too?!" Well, perhaps because it isn't good for you…you cannot see that yet, but eventually you will.

Aren't we fortunate to have the Universe/God protect us and give us what's best for us? And maybe we think that this isn't the best for us, and we don't deserve these things. We do; we deserve every stumble, every pot-hole, every callous word. I know it sounds silly, but without these experiences we would never see again, or learn a lesson, or slow down, or treat people with respect or garner knowledge…never receive our blessings. To become better human-beings, and in turn become wise, humble and content. J

2 comments:

  1. Jair...i am so happy that i read this post...right now...at this point in my life. I needed to hear those words...i needed the reminder. My pores raised when i read "With every disappointment, it is really a blessing in disguise".....God knows...i have to learn to fully own this in my life. Thank you Jair...keep on writing ...you never know who you inspire with your words.
    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww -- thanks darling! :D
    I constantly have to remind myself of those words too -- the ups and downs in life...ohh if only i could see the blessings right away, so the disappointments don't hurt as much ;)

    ReplyDelete