Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween



I don't feel the least bit disappointed that I have nothing special planned for my most beloved holiday since residing in the United States; that lovely holiday being 'Halloween'! Perhaps because I won the title of 'The Scary Story Champion' 2 times in a row now; or perhaps because even though I don't get to wiggle my bum in costume with many other well-dressed horrific characters, I have my wonderful selection of scary films to keep me company. I've always loved scary stories; and I'm not speaking of gory and animalistic attempts to scare someone with fake blood spewing everywhere, because they do nothing for me. I'm speaking about Stephen King, the Emperor of classic horror tales, and those types of stories that grandparents would tell to their grandchildren. Spine-tingling stories that bring tears to your eyes because of the sheer terror they instill within you!


My grandparents never told such stories; neither did my parents. I had to discover and search for thrilling and terrifying excitement on my own. And did I ever find it!? There are specific elements key to telling a successful scary story, and I do believe (not to sound boastful) that I've found it. Many actors wouldn't fancy in the least to act in a horror film, but for me, it would be a dream! I'm not saying I won't also enjoy doing more solid, dramatic and inspirational pieces, because that is what drives and arouses audiences; however to star (not die right at the beginning) in a frightful film, would be such a brilliant thing!


At first I didn't understand the whole unlucky 13 thing here in America; realizing in every elevator, there never is a 13th floor available to disembark, but after seeing 'Nightmare on Elm Street' with Freddy on Friday the 13th; things made a little more sense. I doubt though that architects, government and un-superstitious people would base their everyday life on a film though; so I may still need to investigate further.


Recently in my acting class, it was phenomenal! Every Halloween class is like that! We learn several techniques needed for filming horrific scenes. Like being on both the receiving and giving end of being shot, strangled and stabbed. To play dead (literally acting as though you're dead – close shot/long shot), and acting as zombies. As if this thrill isn't enough, we act out a scene in a scary movie, running away while being chased by the killer, and the grand finale of sitting in a circle and telling our most scary story. Most students don't put in a lot of effort. Some find stories from the internet, others use ones they've heard over and over again. For me I take it seriously and I rack my brain for a week, wondering what I could do differently this time. During our 'scary story circle session' the boys laugh, and the girls are usually too scared to give their fullest potential. But me… J I go to the maximum level of fear and I thoroughly enjoy doing so…


Most people enjoy Roller Coasters, and Water slides, falling and sliding so fast, the heart doesn't have time to catch up with the body. I don't find this fun at all; in fact on my last roller coaster ride, I swear I was so afraid I couldn't even scream. My form of scary excitement is definitely horror/scary stories…for these are more genuine, when you're able to tap into that part of a person's brain that makes them think and have respect for things they don't always necessarily can touch or feel.


Most people will shudder to know that I spent my night after class happily chomping away on chocolate and a glass of red wine in celebration of my 'scary story win'. But I damned well deserve it! And although I am awake till the wee hours of the morning after a good scare I know I can pop in a DVD like 'White Chicks', 'The Office' (don't own it yet), 'Fraggle Rock' or 'Popeye' to take my mind off things! ;) Just all in a day's work during the Halloween season! J



No comments:

Post a Comment