Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Possession



I was not aware of the marvelous treat I was in store for as I nonchalantly decided to visit the cinema at 1 in the afternoon. I sat alone and in the dark gripping into the arms of the chair and my pashmina and mumbling, “Ohhh!” every so often! J

It’s always nice to see a current film; and more so, one that’s actually good and scary! I don’t scare easily and it takes quite a bit to make my blood curdle, but this 2012 horror/thriller, ‘The Possession’ not only had me uneasy in my chair but also had my pores and hair on my neck standing with nervous delight! J

Written by Juliet Snowden and Stiles White, this film was executed judiciously from beginning till end. Ole Bornedal, Danish film-maker who started his own theatre, ‘ The Aveny’ after trying and failing to enter the Danish Film school is now one of the most influential creators of ‘The New Danish Cinema’. You may remember him from ‘Night Watch’ or ‘Just Another Love Story’; but I think he struck gold in truly capturing the essence and authenticity of this frightful true story which happened to a family over the course of 29 days.

Jeffery Dean Morgan plays the father figure Clyde wonderfully, and reminds us very much of a statuesque Javier Bardem. Kyra Sedgwick who you may recall from ‘The Closer’ plays Stephanie. And Natasha Calis whose known as the next ‘big-little-thing’ starred as ‘Em’ and has been working her acting muscle since the tender age of 7 years old. She is known for doing great strong emotional scenes.

It goes to show that some things from the past can come back to bite you if you don’t dispose of it properly! J You might need more than an arm-chair to grip into, when watching this movie.

4 comments:

  1. wonderfully written!i had goosebumps watching the whole preview.. i have to go see this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won't be disappointed! Thanks for reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You succinctly described the movie without giving away any of the spoilers, I agree with you it was definitely, a scary ride!

    ReplyDelete