Monday, November 25, 2013

Kundun



"I see a safe journey, I see a safe return."

"They have taken away our silence."

"I believe I am a reflection, like a moon on water. When you see me, and I try to be a good man, you see yourself."

'Kundun' means 'The Presence' which incredibly personifies the overall feeling of the depictions of the Dalai Lama in this film. I had the pleasure of watching this classic and historical film 'Kundun' which follows the re-discovery, childhood into adulthood of Tibet's 14th Dalai Lama. Written by Melissa Mathison and directed by the lovable Martin Scorsese, this 1997 dramatic biography was nominated for 4 Oscars, and received 5 wins and 4 other nominations.

Starring unknowns like Tenzin Yeshi Paichang, Tulku Jamyang Kunga Tenzin, Gyurme Tethong and Tenzin Thuthob Tsarong whom played the Dalai Lama during different stages of his life and others, I must say that the story was exceptionally told and clearly illustrated the violent Chinese persecution and problems he dealt with at that time and still to this day. It was wonderful to bring this film to the west allowing the masses through film to understand the complexity of this war and gain knowledge of the height of calamity and terrible domination that the Tibetan people endured.


Beautifully shot, lovely cinematography and soundtrack; this is one that will be remembered for all time. It was interesting to know that Scorsese had such respect and admiration for the Dalai Lama and Buddhist philosophy as he dedicated this film to his mother Catherine Scorsese. He said that "…the Dalai Lama represents unconditional love, and to me my mother was the closest person with that kind of love".

No comments:

Post a Comment