Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Captain Phillips



“There’s got to be something other than being a fisherman or kidnapping people…”, “…Maybe in America, Irish, maybe in America.”

“I came too far, I can’t give up.”

One of my favourites for nominated Oscar films this year. Nominated for 6 Oscars, 68 other nominations and 16 wins. This true story that took place in 2009 and adapted into film in 2013 was thrilling from beginning till end. English Director Paul Greengrass fabulously captivated the beauty, terror, relief, and fear of all the characters. Tom Hanks gave a performance of a life-time (probably his best yet) and newcomer Barkhad Abdi native Somalian was a thing of beauty, strength, truth, and hope. 

This film touched me in so many wonderful ways, but what stood out the most for me was certainly the amount of effects caused by globalization, the desperation of human-kind, and the exquisite soundtrack for this movie. With a run-time of 134 minutes, I was not ready for this film to end. It was riveting, intense, and heart-poundingly good!

With a budget of $55 million USD this film grossed not only $107 million USD back, but also for Adbi’s first film, an Oscar nominating performance we’ll never forget. I felt myself feeling for both main characters, the villain and the hero, but more so the villain was the one that was most captivating and stole the show! He was a limo-driver, had a dream and Tom Hanks picked him as lead after seeing 700 other applicants.

‘JourneywithJair recommended’; makes for a nail-bitingly-fun night! :))



No comments:

Post a Comment