Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Truth About Emanuel



I hadn’t seen any film projects attached to actress Jessica Biel lately and while browsing, this film popped up. This 2013 Drama/Thriller, written and directed by Italian Francesca Gregorini was an interesting, strange, mysterious and fantastical story. I have to say lead actress English Kaya Scodelario (Moon) really stole the show and her acting chops were very strong. Biel delivered but she easily slipped into the co-star role. All other actors conveyed the emotions they needed to; but this film was clearly about ‘Emanuel’.

Beautifully shot with quite a bit of surrealism it was difficult for the audience to know what was real and what was not until the end. I loved how the main characters were connected because of their loss and how they became strength for each other. It was a special interpretation by Gregorini and viewers could appreciate that. 

With a run time of 91 minutes, without the rich and poetic thoughts of our main character, viewers wouldn’t be as reeled-in because it was a very slow-moving and sometimes spiritless as it rolled on and on...

“My name is Emanuel. I’m 17 years old and I killed my mother. I had her sliced open, like a goat for the slaughter, to get me pulled out. As she bled, the doctor pushed air into my lungs and pressed his hands repeatedly onto my chest, with the same rhythmic, repetitive motion that he used to jerk himself off that very morning. It worked. He came and I came. Back to life.”


The film did win 5 awards and one other nomination that year, so the $1 million USD budget paid off.


No comments:

Post a Comment