Monday, March 22, 2010

Temecula - Wine Country

I failed for the second time at the written driving test to get my California State license; damn those foggy weather questions! I got about 5 of them, and the round lady behind the counter didn't even look at me as she chirped, "You missed by one, come back on Monday before 4pm to re-take!" Great! I thought, I suppose the third time is the charm. I was really frustrated, but I knew the day could only go up from here. I was going to visit the California wine country, not to romantic Napa as yet, but to a place about an hour and a half away called Temecula. One of my best friends and his twin sisters went up there for the day 2 months prior and invited me, unfortunately I couldn't join them because of work, but now I was able to enjoy it, never mind if it was by myself.

I hit the open road with some Drum & Bass from the UK Podcast DJ's, but by the time I'd reached to my Depeche Mode CD, I realized the road wasn't as 'open' as I'd hoped. There were pockets of traffic in between, but I didn't let that spoil my mood. The view was incredible. Mountains, beautiful mountains as far as the eye could see. Growing up in Trinidad & Tobago, we had hills, but our smaller mountains were covered with large trees, it was a rainforest there. Here, you could see gorgeous glistening snow sprinkled in the distance and lovely yellow, orange and purple flowers dabbed throughout. How beautiful it seemed to me.

Exiting from the highway I found a quaint and cozy gourmet Italian restaurant called Gourmet Italia, off Rancho California Road. I sat and had a hearty meal of Gnocchi, which were potato pasta balls with a rich pesto sauce. Delicious! The owner offered me wine, but I obliged him instead to recommend some vineyards that I could visit. He did, and our meeting ended cheerfully with big smiles and several photographs. Everyone, including the owner kept asking me, why was I alone? Why was this gorgeous girl alone? Flattering I must say; however why can't a girl go wine-tasting on a day off. Yea, sure it wasn't the finest of ideas, but I wanted to keep Napa romantic and special in my mind, until I could spend it with someone special. I'd traveled half the world alone; it's really not that bad. Sure you end up taking 'not so good' photos of yourself, but once you've gotten past that, and cleverly humming a tune when someone realizes you're actually speaking to yourself, then trust me, it really isn't that bad.

I had the pleasure of visiting two vineyards, one called Wiens and the other called Wilson Creek. The people working there were darling, so friendly and well educated on the different wines and champagnes made there. My favourites were the Amour De L' Orange, a champagne with an orange rime aftertaste, the Estate Muscat Canelli, a fruity, sweet white wine, and by far the most delectable, the Almond Champagne, the vineyard called it The 'Oh my Gosh' Champagne, and it really is that wonderful. They used almond oil to ferment it, and it not only smells great, but goes down pretty smooth as well. Quite a family typesetting at both locations; one gentleman even was kind enough to allow me into the barrel rooms where they kept the wine cool for storage. I was lucky to visit on a Thursday, because I heard it gets pretty busy during the weekends as well as during the summer. I didn't have to fight with crowds, and got pleasant intimacy at both places.

I interacted with the usual un-recognized but most essential people of the whole business; yes, the Mexican workers. The tourists all had their families, boy-friends, and wine cases to go, and never did look at their humble workers toiling in the unforgiving sun. I was a tourist also, but didn't have any attachments to dwindle my attention; they were kind men; I was fortunate to get a photo with them too! They were a bit hesitant at first, but when I spoke their language and laughed and talked about the World Cup, they really warmed up to me. I talked to 5 workers, and all of them were from Mexico, and all very courteous and humble people. What important jobs they do, for the enjoyment of so-called wine connoisseurs. I wondered if they ever drank wine, and if so, were they offered bottles as perks for their work?

Several wine glasses later, I had a massive grin on my face, and shimmied in my car for the ride home with some Damien Marley and some Chopin. What a lovely trip; would I visit again? Most definitely, shall I bring friends; I hope so. Would I pretend to hum tunes again when people noticed I was speaking with myself if I again traveled solo? Certainly, because what better company to have than that of yourself! J

Find these and other great travel stories in the US and around the world, in Jair Ananda Massiah's travel story book. Just waiting to publish -- any interested publishers out there?? :)

Photos coming soon! ;)

!Jair

2 comments: