Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Shutter Island

Leonardo DiCaprio captivated all women's hearts for the most part in Titanic. Outstanding acting alongside Kate Winslet and incredible boyish charm; his career continued to grow after that film, and he is now a household name in film. His name will never be forgotten and he can date any Victoria Secret model he wants.

From the previews of Shutter Island, I was sure that this one would be a thriller. And yes, there were a couple thrilling parts. Did anyone scream? Absolutely not. Did anyone squirm and wiggle in their seats? Yes!

The director Martin Scorcese successfully was able to evoke different emotions in this film. Acting by Leo, tremendous as always; he truly became the character. Delightful sidekick Mark Ruffalo was just as good. They truly committed to their characters and made each moment believable.

The soundtrack was wonderful, it was reminiscent of Jaws. For me, it seemed to be a cross between One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Others. I really liked the content and the combination they opted to use, good actors, including Sir Ben Kingsley whom I always enjoy seeing. I felt as though, after seeing this once, like The Others, I would never want to see it again, because the plot once found out, you couldn't enjoy it multiple times afterward.

I felt also that there were too many flashbacks, I'd rather them do them all in one-go. It was becoming too unwieldy and drawn out towards the end. I certainly do commend Martin Scorcese, Laeta Kalogridis, writer of the novel Dennis Lehane, and all the actors in the film, but will it make my list of must-see or most captivating films? Unfortunately not.

Would it stand beside other Holocaust classics like Shindler's List or Life is Beautiful? Regrettably no, because there were too many things going on, and Michelle Williams, as cute as a button as she is, kept 'butting in' too frequently between scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment