Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Just What the Doctor Ordered

A famous phrase in both Trinidad & Tobago and the UK, "Just what the doctor ordered"; we say it to express that whatever it is we're receiving is just what we need to feel better. That tall glass of water you guzzled was 'just what the doctor ordered' to quench your thirst from the unbearable heat. That visit from your old friend was 'just what the doctor ordered' to lift your spirits. That song that played on the radio was 'just what the doctor ordered' to inspire you to work harder on that project. 'Just what the Doctor Ordered'.

Well, lemme' tell you, just because the doctor orders it doesn't mean that it's always easier. Most medicines as we know don't taste good. In fact, in life the things that seem the most bitter are what is healthier for our bodies. I remember my castor oil and aloe intake days….ugh! The utter repulsion just the thought of it; but it's what my parents gave me that kept me in pretty good health.

I find also in life that perhaps the Universe/God is the doctor, giving us what's best for us even though we don't think it's very good for us, because it hurts or because we are slowed down. When it rains, it pours…good and bad. I happen to be trying to keep dry and un-drenched by my 'series of unfortunate events'. And it's raining down hard right now. Being independent as I am and for such a long time too I try my best to cross my t's and dot my I's, and so what if I put hearts above them…it looks much better on paper anyway! J

Nevertheless sometimes even if you do what's right, there seems to be a lightning bolt in the sky following you, but you can't run forever, you have to deal with it, and get zapped. It's only till you get zapped will you then be able to walk instead of run, and in such beautiful and brilliant sunshine. So I'm being zapped right now; that lightning bolt is zapping the hell out of me! I had the privilege of learning yet another time that you must let things be, and just let go. Why did I want to carry those burdens on my shoulders anyway?

We cannot control some things; like the weather, love, of someone crashing into your car, or those damned lawn-mower men who have to cut grass outside your window every day at 7am on your days off. Listen to your friends and family that say, "Shake it off!"… "Snap out of it!" Focus on the things that are working well in your life. It might not be much; but try to list the things you are happy about. Perhaps it's that your dog that annoyingly licks you non-stop showing how much he loves you. Or maybe it's the fact that you jumped out of bed today with no aches and pains and in good health. Or possibly that you're having a fine 'hair' day today! Whatever it is, focus on it and be grateful…And try not to let others change your mood. You are doing the best you can with what you have right now; you are where you're supposed to be in this moment of time. Life is not a race and you are embarking upon your journey, don't let people put pressure on you by what their standards are; everything is good, you are free to be who you are and to be happy doing what you think is best for you!

I'm not out of the woods yet; but after my conversation with my creator I understand that all these things are happening to teach me to trust him more; as well as deal with things as I see fit. I am doing the right things at the right time…and anyone who thinks otherwise is entitled to their opinion but I'm doing what's best for me!

I just laugh…I laugh out loud at what's going on right now; I am not out of the woods but I laugh at my problems…what else can I do? Without laughing at the absurdity of it all, I may as well go insane, and I certainly don't want to go to the 'Looney' house! So if you're just a filly like me hoping to regain some familiarity of the good times and maybe with an added bonus of some lolly then just trust the Universe that everything will be okay, and that this nasty medicine is in fact going to make you all better. Help you get stronger, help you see the truth, help you focus more on the right path to follow.

And as they say, laughter really is the best medicine….it's 'just what the doctor ordered' for me! J

No comments:

Post a Comment