Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sacrifice



While trying to reshuffle the heaps of books I own to decide which ones I should get rid of and which I certainly must keep; I happened to come across some old photographs in albums I'd tucked away and forgotten about. Instead of me chucking out these books and making my load of University text books, poetry books and inspirational books lighter, I ended up keeping all of them and instead becoming quite emotional while reminiscing over the "me" of 8 years old, and much younger than that. Surrounded by my beloved and late granny, my parents not always smiling from ear to ear as they had to keep the mischievous brood of my siblings and I together and also of my extended family and friends; how much I'd changed throughout these years, I'd thought. I tried to think back to those days and the difficulties I'd had then and how happy I was indeed as a child with quarter the worry I had now as an adult. All the smiles, all the laughter, the lush green and sandy bodies that were all squashed into that one square. Where did it all go, where did I go? I had left the nest and silky lucid sea to find a life of my own. To begin from scratch (literally), in a new, harsh, yet exciting new land and also one day begin a family of my own. I glared around my little room and frowned…I suppose I wasn't doing a very good job at the moment…


Then I thought of 'Sacrifice'… that even my successful parents and grandparents had to go through this before living a more comfortable or suitable life. Sure if I'd stayed at home I'd have more hugs and helping hands, but if I have the option to be the 'best me'; despite it being a more rigorous path, this would be the path that I would take. It's more of an adventure this way anyhow.


Sacrifice is undergoing un-appealing conditions and cutting back on comfort and material things we may enjoy to gain better sight or rewards by firstly conserving. In other words, it is similar to the life of a butterfly; in that most of its life it isn't gliding around happily in the wind, but instead a plump and wiggly caterpillar, having to chomp on leaves and find a safe place it could build a cocoon for itself. And even after all of this, the rewards do not come quickly, after it gorges itself and becomes overweight it must stay in that cramped space until the time is absolutely right and it is ready to transform into a dazzling butterfly! J


So too must we have sacrifice in our lives; for some it may be much easier, but then everyone has their own path and lessons to learn. For those of you that seem to make progress at a slower rate, it is alright…for you have more time to enjoy the journey while getting there. Each morning give thanks for the small things you are grateful for and smile through the 'not so great' days, because each morning you awake you are getting that much closer to your dreams taking flight too! J Once you do the right things, believe in yourself and keep your vision and goal in mind, you will most certainly get to your destination.


I will leave you with some words of wisdom by one of my favourite authors Wayne W. Dyer, who speaks about having patience with your dreams/aspirations.


"…the secret to being patient is in the certainty of the outcome. When that certainty is manifested in you in the form of trust and a knowing, you can then turn your thoughts away from the desired outcome. Without anger or anxiety, you are able to turn your attention to whatever it is that occupies your daily life schedule…"


"…Infinite patience produces almost immediate results in your life. You become free when you relax your insistence to have it now, and you increase your awareness that you actually do have it now, already, even though it may not have shown up as you would like it in your immediate surroundings…"


*** I felt compelled to say this – Know your true value and worth, what you deserve, and never settle. People that don't recognize and treat you as such; you shouldn't waste your precious time on them. Keep positive people around you, and people who know what they want out of life. Although it is important to respect others, have respect for yourself also. You're a beautiful being and you deserve that love from yourself too; practicing love and respect for yourself, shows others that they must treat you the same! Bless-up! – Jair J

No comments:

Post a Comment