Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Ides of March

Written, directing and acting by George Clooney; released in 2011. I certainly didn’t think I’d like the movie as much as I did; but man was it moving! I thought, “Politics? I can take a pass…” But I’m sure glad I gave it a try and stuck it out; it was riveting from start to finish! The alluring George Clooney didn’t exactly get me shaking in excitement, but instead co-star Ryan Gosling and Philip Seymour Hoffman whose consistent banter and betrayal was nail-bitingly good! Paul Giamatti was also riveting and there was great dynamic between all of this film’s main characters.


The audience follows the presidential candidate on his campaign trail and learns about the basic ins and outs of doing whatever it takes to win the votes and trust of the people. It reminded me very much of the movie ‘Crash’ where although there weren’t several separate stories intertwined we still were able to see crooked versus true believers and how quickly one becomes tainted because of the hideous politics going on around them. What path will they choose? Or do they succumb to gain success? Ryan Gosling learns quickly and follows through to our viewer’s delight!


Budget estimated at about 12 and a half million dollars and making a cool 40 million back; it’s easy to see why Cross Creek Pictures, Exclusive Media Group, Smoke House, and Crystal City Entertainment found it easy to invest in such an entrancing and almost sickening story with an A-list cast! Dramatic to the max and full of twists and turns; this is a movie I’d gladly recommend. J

No comments:

Post a Comment