Thursday, March 15, 2012

When yuh Big, Yuh BIG


Waltzing into a private “Hollywood” house birthday party the other night; I knew I was clearly ‘over-dressed’ in my model heels and halter black mini dress, leaving my legs bare to the cold night air; but I didn’t care if they looked my way; I was just happy to be out with my darling girl-friend who invited me and it was a welcomed change to typing my nights away and reciting poetry. I hadn’t been invited to one of these in a while; but I knew it was a welcomed excuse to socialize and network with others working in the film industry; the crowd would be young, beautiful, successful, all the ‘who’s-who’ in the business; drinks and dip would be expected but for others plenty of drugs would be available too.


The birthday boy was a dashing lad; smartly dressed and heavily receiving kisses from all the ladies. He was turning 30 and his life was simply one BIG celebration indeed! He was starring in one of television’s current and biggest shows; he was living in a mansion and surrounded by a heap of others like himself. Showered with kisses and a bottle of champagne didn’t sound too shabby at all. J


I made friends with the bar tender; he was a stout dimpled fella’ with bright blonde dreadlocks and he made a mean ginger drink; twas pretty darn good! J There were girls shaking their money makers in the living room, and some boys lounged on the couch staring at them, while others were snorting up what ‘Tony Montana’ from SCARFACE loved snorting up best. Outside there was a photo-booth dishing out instant photos of guests and a cozy bonfire keeping some others warm.


My friend and I made a pit-stop to the loo; and while walking by a young man with intense looking eyes bellowed a hello our way. I peered in his direction, but my friend pulled me onwards. Could it be a Caribbean accent I heard; sure it was only a hello; but being a foreigner and a flight attendant I was pretty good at deciphering accents from around the world; and a Caribbean person at that; any true islander would pick up on a fellow accent. While my friend canoodled with her husband I made the b-line back towards in his direction, and came right out with it. “Excuse me, where are you from?” By George! He was Caribbean indeed! J Surely this was too good to be true!


We began our usual Caribbean opening conversation with, “Which island? What part? How long yuh living here? Any family here?” The warmness and excitement quickly faded though as he began to only speak about his successes. Which surely I was proud of him; but when he realized I wasn’t yet there; he literally ditched me and joined some others at the opposite end of the room. Apparently, he knew everybody and everything! He made award winning films, was tight with Zoe Saldana (one of my film mentors – whom he said I just missed her because she was at the party), he worked with Orlando Bloom, and he had accomplished all of this at the young age of 33. Not bad at all!


Usually, Caribbean people are warm and helpful; it’s what we’re known for; we feed you, give you gifts, try to get you to dancing and offer assistance if need be. I didn’t expect this Caribbean super-star to give me any hand-outs; but it was hurtful to see the dizzying excitement fizzle when he deemed me less important and slunk away. It was there I remembered how Hollywood operated; families of success remaining successful and well the connections. All very clever indeed; I mean, you wouldn’t want just anyone coming in to mess up a good thing. I suppose I must have come across silly when he asked if I knew Zoe Saldana and I blurted out that I had a picture of her on my bedroom wall… probably not one of my cooler moves.


In Trinidad & Tobago we tend to repeat words to express the intensity of the subject. For instance; ‘The day was long-long…” meaning our day was a long one. Or, “It was hot hot hot eh!?” meaning the day was a proper scorcher. These and many more we use to re-iterate or express our passion on a specific subject. “When yuh Big, yuh BIG!” means once you’re successful or on top, you’re at the very top, you don’t remember where you were before. And I think this captures exactly the gentleman’s demeanor that night.


Many times we are shunned in life; like lepers, or the slow-learning people in the olden days; but then and now we are reminded that we are never alone on this journey in life; that we are always surrounded by the spiritual/universal love and understanding. Once we are on that path and are aware of the power we have, then we will always succeed. I’m not saying to stop networking; or doing whatever it is you’re supposed to do to get ahead; but keep proactive and most of all keep trusting that life is unfolding exactly as it should. Be compassionate for those that treat you unfairly; they know not what they do; and one day soon, you’ll also have your day in the sun! J


Bless-up!


Jair J

4 comments:

  1. Too bad about that guy. Still, sounds like one wild party. Don't think I could keep up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Calder and KC darling for reading! I truly appreciate it! Calder, partying is 2nd nature, but it's making the right choices that count! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad. That guy has [unfortunately] forgotten about the people who gave him advice and helped him... or apparently his manners as well.

    Enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete