Thursday, April 22, 2010

Patriotism

Within the past twenty, thirty, or maybe forty years of history, people from around the globe have immigrated to the United States. They came for various many reasons but for the most part, they came just like the United States forefather's came for, a better way or quality of life. America is built on immigrants, as the only true owners of this land were the Native Indians who discovered it and many other countries to date. Unfortunately they were overthrown and killed out like the Aborginees, Maori and other Native tribes by the Europeans who made it their own; very typical around most of the world.

America is so eclectic and multi-ethnic it's absolutely lovely! My country is similar too, but on a much smaller scale. Our people all look different and have charming exotic blends, but it is still the Trini, Trinidadian or Trinbagonian culture that reigns there. We do not have Japanese influence or Mexican influence or Russian influence for example. Here in America, you can find food from anywhere in the world, and get a taste of cultures that some communities proudly hold on to.

The sad thing is that the new generations born and raised here; completely disregard their beginnings or parent's heredity to become strong patriots for this country alone. I can understand that a place that has raised you and given you certain ideals, you may wish to represent and withhold them; nevertheless I find it daunting the amount of superiority that goes along with it.

If I collected a penny for the amount of times American passengers or people I meet ask me "Why am I here?" I would be a rich lady or as I'd rather say, an even wealthier woman. Some people actually come to escape harsh rules and living situations, others sadly their countries are ravished by war and others like myself, just making career dreams come true due to the ostentatious opportunities available.

I've had several prospects in the dating world, to learn lessons and realize what it is I like or dislike in a future mate, which I'm so grateful for, but I've only dated few times American boys; the reason being that most times they come across quite arrogant. It is a fact that people from other countries tend to travel more, which gives them a broader sense of what the world is about, how people live, what they think, and how they feel. But if a person isn't given such chances, they see the world only through a much constricted view. Sure there are books and television to learn from, but there is no experience greater than taking your own life adventure to learn the truth about the world.

I can imagine what it would be like to not even leave your own community or neighbourhood, and not venture beyond the boundaries of it. I can see how one would be trapped into a certain type of thinking and how they may be less tolerant or thrilled with beautiful differences around them.

There's one thing about being a patriot for your country and there's another for disregarding or belittling others because there is fear of the unknown or secret wish of supremacy. I may have been born and raised in Trinidad & Tobago. But my ancestors traveled and were brought from many magnificent countries before settling there; Africa, Hong-Kong and Scotland to name a few. Therefore I consider myself a nowherian (a trini word meaning 'a person who does not seem to have any fixed place of abode'). I hold close my culture and roots, but I also am happy to be well-traveled and have a wider perspective of how the world works. I find beauty in even the ugliest places because we are first and foremost a human race. No matter the colour, the social class, or hardships, we all yearn for the same things.

For me, if you cannot really see with your eyes, there is no need to pretend you're going places. In other words, if a boy sees the world narrow-mindedly, there is only so much you can do or so far you can go, there is no need to waste precious time… I may live here, and may enjoy it's many conveniences, but I certainly do not deem it the most high and mighty because even if a place is small or under-developed, it's people can be intelligent and admirable. Traits I much rather have, including humility and compassion, things people know little about.

No comments:

Post a Comment