Thursday, April 22, 2010

Yes Sireee!



It may be true that the majority of the world is brainwashed by the media and news. It may be true that the majority of the world is clueless as to what the true meaning of life is. It may also be true that the majority of the world has become heartless, callous and self-centered. But just because the majority of the world is like this, I don't have to assimilate or conform also. You know what, even if a person hasn't lived in the States for a long time, they can know 'everything' that goes on there…why? Because of that wonderful television screen; people become sponges and are able to rattle off advertisement jingles and know characters by name in half-an-hour sitcoms.


I actually, do not currently own a television. Yes; crazy most of you may think. But I gave up many of my belongings before moving across states. Sure I could have easily purchased another, but I rather not get comfortable in my tightly packed room anyway. To make matters more interesting, I, in fact, don't really care to watch television that often anyhow. I rather not get addicted to shows that tell me when I should laugh and for how long, and have it blast what's the coolest, most awesome, newest gadget that I should run out and buy. That's just my choice, it doesn't have to be everybody's too.


In Trinidad & Tobago (man, I've been talking non-stop about them lately – can you tell I'm dreadfully homesick?), our national motto states that we should always respect our elders, parents and those in authority. We address elders that we do not know, by saying, Sir, and Miss, and elders we do know by Aunt and Uncle, even if we aren't really related to them. It is simply a matter of esteem towards the other person. In my acting class the other night, my acting coach told me not to call him 'Sir'…it wasn't the first time people have scoffed or laughed at me using that word. I didn't understand what was the big deal? I thought they should be happy I thought of them this way.


One of my new friends in LA says to me, that if I want to be successful or work in film that I needed to change my attitude. That I needed to be mean, and rude, and that I was too nice! He said I had to dish out to them, what they dished out to me! I knew that what he was saying couldn't be right, but I listened to him carefully, I wasn't sure yet, how I could make him see differently, but the truth is that sometimes no matter how you try to make people see the truth, they would never see it; because they are stuck in a certain level of thinking, and they had to walk along the path on their own to discover their own truths and lessons. I would let this one go.


You cannot just do bad things! Are you kidding me!?? Do these people not have a conscience? Wait don't answer that….Respect to every man is what we need to have. If they aren't as realized or aware of how to treat people etc, then they need to learn on their own time, we must have compassion for them, because they are unaware of what they are doing. Love is SO powerful. It is the ULTIMATE gift to give. Spread it more, regardless of people that try to suck your happiness or positive energy away; regardless at if people scoff or laugh at your dreams; regardless if they treat you terribly.


The sun shines for everyone, the rain falls for everyone, and then you too must be nice to everyone, relish in the opportunity to give this gift to people who hurt you. It's not every day you get to grow, learn and rack up in good karma points! J

No comments:

Post a Comment