Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Avatar vs. The Hurt Locker

Here we have two singular movies, however equivalent in subject matter. Avatar written and directed by James Cameron, and The Hurt Locker directed by James Cameron's ex-wife Katherine Bigelow. I happened to see Avatar first, and I will admit like Mr. Cameron, I too am a tree-hugger and more of a peace-maker. Nevertheless, Ms. Bigelow was also nominated for Best Director at the Academies this year, which makes her the first female to be nominated as Best Director; being a female and future filmmaker myself, I had to see what she did. I find this whole swathe of events intriguing, not only the whole Director versus Director, War versus Peace, and Male Director versus Female Director, but also a battle of the exes! :)

So, I shan't go into detail, for those of you that haven't seen both films. But in essence Avatar was about a beautiful, peaceful African/blue civilization living in Paradise, but also on one of the largest diamond/stone fortunes to date, and about American soldiers wanting this treasure, badly enough to invade cleverly among them, gain their trust and respect, then pull the rug from underneath them. It took us on a 3D action-packed adventure as well as an emotional roller-coaster ride. In my opinion, I think they should win best everything! I'm sorry to all those people out there that didn't enjoy the film. But open up your minds and hearts and realize not only the amount of work put into this film, but the superb soundtrack and marvelous acting by Zoe Saldana and Sam Worthington. The message of what war brings with it, and that you shouldn't go sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

The Hurt Locker was about the journey of a team of American soldiers working/fighting in Iraq. It was gritty, realistic, shaky yet crucial desert cinematography, subtle western music at certain points and great 'fly-on-eye' zoom in sequences. I don't usually enjoy watching war films, probably because I'm against it in the first place, but I must say I'm glad I watched it and can see why this film was nominated. The acting was phenomenal, with the insensitive and cruel language used by soldiers, like "I'll cut your head off, I'll kill you" and utter disrespect to the locals of the land. The cinematography by British camera-man, Barry Ackroyd was exquisite; with shots of kites in sky, limping cats, and split rear-view mirror eyes of pain. And the direction on such harsh and rough circumstances yet pulled off in excellence by a non-whining woman, with immense attention to detail like subtleties of Camel figurines, crosses and bloody, littered and deserted hallways, made me glad to see it.

Both films though, show how war ravishes a society/community. The unnecessary pain and suffering involved on both opposing sides and how crazy we the human race can be in what we will do after we're brainwashed into believing that we fight for our country, and not for our own selfish needs. Because it is not only about terrorism, because that goes both ways on both sides; we terrorize each other. On one side there are enormous bounds of greediness and the other side fanatical religious frustration and jealousy.

I think we should always remember the mid-way in life. Everything in moderation; be it food, drink, work, sex. Everything you do in life, do it in moderation. Do not let things be the master of you in this life, you be in control of yourself and the master of yourself. I am fortunate to be born in Trinidad & Tobago, small yet cosmopolitan islands with big hearts, allowing me to be not only tolerant, but knowledgeable and accepting of all the different peoples who settled there, to be well-traveled, allowing me to see how different people live but realize how similar we also are, and friendly enough to have friends from all walks of life. Through my own spiritual interest/belief/awareness that we all swim in different rivers to the same ocean , I have read most religious books, and although I do not consider myself religious since we humans tend to be hierarchical and judgmental. I have come to the conclusion that immense luxury, no matter how appealing it may be, is not only detrimental to our growth but also stifling our ability to learn different lessons and be well-rounded individuals.

There was a scene in The Hurt Locker that made me reminiscent of why I detest shopping. Jeremy Renner's character had finally returned to the United States and was grocery shopping with his family. He stood dumbfounded in an aisle of cereal. Although cereal, swimsuits and film may be the only aisles I would prefer standing in if I happened to like shopping; this scene just reminded me of the opposite of simplicity and moderation. When SSG William James had to dis-enable bombs in Iraq, there were different coloured wires he had to cut. I think that in life, there is no need for un-necessary abundance of too many things, but enough of everything. I believe there is abundance for all of us to enjoy. There is a saying that my father once told me that goes: It is harder for a rich man to enter the gates of heaven than it is for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle. And I think he is in fact quite right, because one surrounded with immense luxury, believes that they are the most powerful beings, and crave for some reason more and more no matter the cost; no matter the lives involved. We see that in the film Avatar, when the soldiers only carry out instructions and destroy everything because the BIG man wanted more jewels.

A couple months ago; I recall flying from the East Coast to the West Coast, working in economy class and an American soldier took to speaking with me. My other flight mates sneered and said he was strange, but I decided to entertain him and find out more about his life. He was flying home from war for his grandmother's funeral, apparently she had raised him. He said very matter-of-factly and didn't show a trace of sadness, it was his only family and after he buried her, he would return back to Iraq for war. I offered my condolences and even told him, I'd hoped he would be able to finish his job in the middle-east soon. He surprised me when he said he wanted to return, he would make more money, and that being there was very habitual; bombs at night were the usual. I told him that it sounded quite dangerous; he laughed at me and said, "Well we live two different lives…" He was only 22. And even though in both films we see American soldiers at war, ravishing the land, and treating others unjustly, we know the flip-side of religious fanatics retaliating in fear and frustration as well. We are all one human race, whether we want to admit it or not, and have the same wants, hopes, fears and dreams. We are all capable of being the devil and angels if the right buttons are pushed. So be in control of those buttons; remember that we are ultimately all on the same side. This land belongs to us, all of us, that's how it was always meant to be :)


No comments:

Post a Comment