Monday, February 1, 2010

The Truth


Yes, the truth.
A lot of people cannot handle it.
It hurts, it stings, it sometimes makes people feel badly.
But it's something everybody needs to hear. When I speak the truth, I lose people. But people are people, they're found everywhere. Friends, they come and they go...& if they don't stand by you, or disappear after you speak your heart, then they weren't meant to be with you in the first place. You meet people and you learn from them, and sometimes guess what? - you learn nothing; but they learn something from you. I hope when I leave this life, people are able to learn from me. I can't say I enjoy the pain, but I'm so grateful for each experience, my eyes are so joyous to learn again, and hopefully accept and keep climbing onward!


I love music; it inspires me.
Can't sing to save my life -- unless it's Calypso, I got that! -hahah

But on a serious note, music is what inspires me to write, to become a better person. To remember to be compassionate, and forgiving ecetera. Being born in the Caribbean I was given a certain outlook on life. Different from Americans, Europeans, Africans, Middle-Easterns ecetera, and so when I want to feel something from my roots; a love; an understanding I listen to Caribbean music. Right now listening to Vybz Kartel's Life we Living a beautiful song. Sad but the lyrics so beautiful, and what he is doing, the message he is passing along, even though he isn't a Beyonce or Taylor Swift, he is healing people and inspiring positive change. He is speaking the Truth!

Lastnight I was flying; it's what I do, and while on the ground in Chicago, I got some glimpses of the American Grammys. Glitz and Glam, how exciting! I would like to go to one of those shows one day... A flight attendant in the lounge said, "Look at Taylor Swift, her father is rich, and bought her a record deal and now she's famous!" I smiled and added with my odd sense of humor... "Well, she's blonde, it's a proven fact, they have more fun!" We laughed. Leaving the lounge and getting ready to board another plane, another flight mate said to me.

"You know, they should just close down Haiti and ship the people to other countries ... I mean America is already adopting so many of those children!"
My heart ache.
Not just because I am Caribbean.
But because I know the 'real' story....the True story. Sigh**
I walk those lands, I know these people, they are my people, my beautiful Caribbean people...

Ohhh America, how lucky you are. Blessed in a way, that your people can act so arrogant and uncaring. And don't think I forgot the media splash of celebrities singing and calling to save Haiti. That is very admirable...seeing that Haiti has been 'suffering' since I was a small girl growing up in the West-Indies. Haiti was the 'first' Caribbean island to be independant, and the first to fall...It seems like all great countries fall. Rome did, Egypt did, all these empires...and so did Haiti. I want to know....why is it that America is taking such an interest in Haiti now? When all these years gone by, they have turned away the Haitan refugees? Why now?

It takes a catastrophe and so many dead, to say, let's do something good...why not do it all the time? Africa is still suffering, India is still suffering & believe it or not - America is suffering too. I lived for a year in Washington DC, the capital, and there were soooo many vagrants on the streets. I know there are wonderful organizations out there, and volunteers out there of all race and nationalities that are making positive change. I myself enjoy doing Hospice work; but the celebrities, and media coverage over Haiti, why can't we see more of this on a day to day basis?

Don't get me wrong.
I have love for America, it is a great land.
It's some of the people and the political system I worry about...

I reside here and am grateful to learn new point of views and enjoy certain conveniances that other countries may not have the opportunity to enjoy, but it doesn't end there. Living in an aesthetic and superficial world is not all there is; and to do so with no care for your fellow man; you might as well keep it! I thankfully didn't grow up in a ghetto of the Caribbean. I grew up in a place most people like to come visit for holiday. Lovely weather, tranquility, and for the most part a slow pace. Stress-free! I give thanks for that everyday. I come from a paradise, but there are parts of my land, my paradise, my Caribbean islands, that need so much help.
It's sad to see how we humans can be so heartless towards one another.
Yes, I am a Caribbean woman, this is what I know, but I am also a human being. A being of the world; and being a world traveller, I have learnt that we all have the same wants and fears. We all want to be loved and respected, and we are all part of one human race. We need to have more 'love' in our hearts and less gluttony, hate and lust for power....

Blessings for my Caribbean People.
Blessings for my Human Race.
With success -- my aim is to help you!


!Jair

No comments:

Post a Comment