Friday, May 21, 2010

Snakes and Ladders

I'm not quite sure how many of you may know the game of 'Snakes and Ladders', but how wonderful that you are reading this blog right now; you are in for a treat; or knowledge at least of a great game. I played many games while growing up in Trinidad & Tobago. Role playing with my pet turtles Shelly and Kermit, skipping jump rope, Red light – green light – one-two-three, Memory games, Ludo, but I must say besides watching films with the family, a time I relished significantly, I also loved climbing trees and sitting up there for hours reading heaps of Enid Blyton and Moby books, or looking into the nests of birds, wondering if perhaps they had different eggs than baby birds up there… Besides all these lovely games I remember 'Snakes and Ladders'.


'Snakes and Ladders' is a board game, with dice that was seemingly un-complicated but in fact quite tricky and similar to life. You see, one would roll the dice, and depending on the number scored, one would move forward. If you landed on a ladder, you could climb it, advancing to a higher level. If you landed on a snakes' slithering tongue, then you'd slide back down towards the bottom. The aim was to advance to the very top. There were many times I thought I might beat my brother and sister; I would laugh and coo and roll with delight when I was leading, but as quickly as I'd progressed, just as rapid did I fall.


I think life is like 'Snakes and Ladders'; many times we are traveling along quite well. With air in our tyres, and food in our bellies, but then sometimes, the policemen pull us over and give us tickets, while someone else whizzes by, or we wonder how on earth we can survive on such pitiable amounts of finances and not literally become skin and bone. I think many people can say that at certain points in their lives they were doing quite well, and then there were times where they were so miserable and down on luck. I think it happens in all facets of life, not only with finances, not only with emotions, but also with relationships, with career, and simply life in general. We are forever evolving.


How resilient can we be? That is the question…we must remember that misfortune teaches us of truth. And even though at times you become furious with yourself; it is at our lowest moments we learn the greatest lessons…I smile at this statement; because Gandhi, a man I tremendously admired said, ''Suffering brings you to greatness…'' Many people would scoff at this, but indeed it is enormous wisdom. For who can say that when they are happy and full and everything is well that they care to learn about humility, compassion and love based on the misery and despair of others. It is true, that people are so self-centered these days, and they only care about their own lives; but the rare individuals that I find truly fascinating are those who show love, kindness and respect for others, they are blessed with a fulfillment, not even food could fill or light as new tyres could take you along the road of life.


Everyone has their own path to journey and their own lessons to learn, some have it harder than others it may seem, but each is perfect for that individual to advance on the ladder of life. Everyone's struggles are important to that person, and therefore, I shan't complain about my struggles which at times to me seem endless; but instead try my best to shake off my childish humanistic behaviors and focus on the bigger picture at hand. To succeed, I need to take my hardships with poisonous tongues like snakes and know that at my next opportunity to advance I can take the rungs of those ladders and advance towards success, towards greatness; no mind if my fingers and hands have become callous and bloodied…

No comments:

Post a Comment