Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Just the way you are...



Nadie es perfecto! One of the most poignant statements made in one of my most favourite films; 'Life is to Whistle'. In Spanish this means, 'Nobody is perfect'. Clearly this is the truth. For no matter what car we drive, no matter how much money we make, no matter whom we marry, who we happened to be related to or what job we may have, we most definitely aren't perfect!


I was sitting having tea one day with a friend I'm quite fond of, and we came across the topic of if we'd feel the same about each other if we were simply vagrants on the streets wearing rags. My friend declared that I would care more for a person dressed smartly as opposed to someone who had unpleasant odor and pitiable clothing. I can see how one may think that way, but it isn't the way I view the world. Sometimes one may just be 'down on their luck', or sometimes an earthbound angel could be in disguise, and have the most astute knowledge to share if I'd care to stop and listen. A test of sorts; I know I'd love my friend even more without attractive clothing because it was inside I so yearned for. There was no need to dress superior, or to make changes to impress me, because I enjoyed their company, I just wanted someone to listen, someone to talk to, someone to share with, and someone that simply cared…


Travel is one of the greatest gifts to man and one of the oldest adventures to date. From the beginning of time, man realized that once he came out of his comfort zone and explored the land around him, he would learn new lessons, gain new knowledge and study the way others lived. Unfortunately everyone nowadays does not have this opportunity, due to travel restrictions and documentation. One must know though, that even if we have similar wants, needs and matching emotions, we do indeed live differently.


I've had the pleasure of visiting Thailand and Nepal last year, among other places, but these 2 countries of the Far East I feel has changed me forever. I feel as though with each new destination I discover, my thinking is altered slightly. Sure there are very many wonderful and exciting places and people in these lands, but what remained with me were the not so nice moments, the ones that were hoping to be seen, hoping to be saved. I saw poverty there, I saw suffering, I saw sadness. They are considered 3rd world and I finally understood why. I remember growing up in Trinidad & Tobago and hearing Americans and Europeans pronounce that I lived in a 3rd world land, but after visiting these countries that are much larger and that were once empires living in such anarchy I knew they were mistaken about my small island paradise home. I look at the faces of these young children being lured into the hands of older rich perverts, wanting to bring food to their parents/families tables'. I look at the blind singing songs on the street for spare change, and my heart goes out to them. Not only because of their demise, but also because of the daunting reality we live in, one where we allow our own human race to perish in the name of gluttony and supremacy…perhaps it was them, the 1st world countries that had 3rd world thinking?

No matter the colour, no matter the social class, no matter the nationality, we are not perfect, we have all made mistakes, we all want to be loved, we all want to be accepted, and in my book, no amount of clothes or money could change that for me. I love you just the way you are…

No comments:

Post a Comment