Friday, May 14, 2010

Too Polite...

We all know how self-centered people can be, and how much they like everything to be about them, but lets just take a moment and discuss this small issue. Yes; only 5 minutes of your valuable time, if your eyes can run that fast across this screen to gain some insight on this fascinating topic.

Clearly people are raised differently in different parts of the world; some with manners and courtesy and many without. You see, I was taught by my teachers and parents that it is decent to extend courtesies and be gracious with what you have, and make somebody's day a little lighter, a little easier. In other words not being greedy or pushy and allow people instead a moment to shine in the sun. For instance if Rupert and Magdalene are sitting with colouring books and they both want the red crayon, Rupert would offer Magdalene and instead use purple; or something as simple as offering your seat to a lady or an old person when using public transportation. Little things like this certainly show character and build elevated caliber. I've noticed few people doing such things; how lovely they are, and how meek and modest they appear to be. They are true and hidden gems in this polluted world. Humility and Compassion are such great virtues.

I happen to live in Los Angeles, the city of Angels and I do love it very much; creativity and flair to say the least but there are still ugly behaviours that stun me, or perhaps shock me at times, and I worry sometimes if it will become a part of me also. It's quite easy to assimilate and conform, but it isn't that easy for me. Change is said to be a good thing, but in some instances I greatly beg to differ.

There have been numerous amounts of times where people have expressed to me, "Jair, you're too nice!" or "Jair don't be so polite!" or "Jair, if you aren't rude and serve what you're dished out, you'll never make it!" 'Making it'; what they refer to is fame and fortune; two drugs that the majority of those who move and live here are highly addicted to. I am the master of me and I have other plans, my plan is success! What does that mean for me; is simply to enjoy and be well received in my film career, and live a comfortably, happy and stable financial life. A thoughtful, respectable and lovely equal man at my side named 'husband' and a few children in the mix, would be great too! Some argue that with success comes fame and fortune but that is not my ultimate goal. With success I strive to uphold, withhold and shed light on the importance and comfort of our elderly, and aid hopefully in the research towards a cure for the Lupus disease.

Usually at my Improv class, students dash up wanting to perform, and I like to practice at least once to get a feel of it, but tonight my teacher actually picked 4 students specifically to perform. That really bothered me; I thought was it because they were his favourite? Was it because they performed better in his eyes? I understood the rules just as anyone else, my gosh, I could quote them off the top of my head and I never denied or asked silly questions like so many of them usually did!

In Los Angeles it is a constant competition. Everyone is trying to be the next BIG thing and people in the 'business' tend to be very overpowering at times. Whether it be in that they usually barter their services, as in "What do I get in all of this?" Or most times, "Who can I use to get there?" And some times, "I'm going to push my way to the forward!" It is similar to a fight, you have to fight to be heard, fight to be seen, fight to be recognized. Does politeness have a place here? I suppose the obvious answer would be No! But what a shame…what a bloody shame, sure it is wonderful to express yourself and be free to perform on demand, but are we truly wild and mad animals?

I wrote a blog prior entitled 'Little Bo-Beep', and I wrote about feeling like a ballerina spinning in a world of hip-hop, that I'd been so domesticated throughout the years and I wanted to finally be free to express and do what I love. And although I do feel the same about that, I do also believe that it builds more human character and merit to be thoughtful, respectful, patient and grateful as opposed to being greedy, gaudy, pushy and boastful.

You be the judge. How strong is your desire? How will you travel along your path?

No comments:

Post a Comment