Wednesday, June 8, 2011

***

Sugar Land                                    

                                        By Jair Ananda Massiah

                                        12/09/2009


 

I had no idea it would mar me like this

My fingers red with discontent

I thought you owned this land

And that you would share it with me


 

I just had to sort out my things first

Climb to the top of the mountain

And see what the world had to offer


 

The seagulls really do have the best view

And conceited with the illusion

That they alone own this land


 

I wanted to feel that too

But it never really belonged to me…

It belonged to you


 

You and many others

Tried to take my land from me

My view, this mountain


 

You said you'd wait for me

But it was sorrow I had in my heart

For how could so much sugar

Fit inside this bag


 

The bag that carried my heart…


 

You swore this sugar, was like this land

This sugary land

Grown from midnight kisses

And sprinkled with real desire


 

Staring here into the valley

Endless…

Knowing the truth

I saw it once in the seagulls' eyes


 

You couldn't wait could you?

For good things rarely come to those who wait


 

Go ahead

For it tastes no longer sweet to me

The air is stale

And the seagulls no longer fly here


 

The bag has burst

Spilling this 'sugar' everywhere

My time was not in vain

And these sandals I wear

Can still take me elsewhere


 

To another land

A true land

One I can see clearly


 

For your land

This Sugar Land

Was never really yours to give in the first place …


 

No comments:

Post a Comment